Dimplex Opti-Myst fire failure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our Dimplex Opti-Myst fire stops after 5/10 mins.

The fire is approx 16 mths old and only used Autumn/Spring intermittently.

The Lights are on and mist is seen before shutting off.
Cleaned the sump and transducer disc, refilled with water and the fire runs with lights, mist and fan is running.

Now after 30 secs or so, the mist and fan starts. Then a few seconds later it shuts down with two bleeps

Any clues why, rather than a engineer call out at £££££, might be cheaper with another non mist fire as we only use the lights for effect.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks,
Found out I insured it on purchase, so luckily getting it repaired.

I will keep the post updated of the repairs done for the fault.

OK. Dimplex...................
The insurance company or I cannot contact Dimplex to speak to anyone regarding a repair.

After going through the selections pressing various numbers, we end-up having to fill a online form to request a repair.
But then we have to wait upto 10 days for a reply. Rang them over 2 days at various times, waste of space.....

The insurance company cannot find any authorised agents for Dimplex in my area (S.Wales).

So for anyone thinking of any Dimplex appliances, steer clear of them

Sponsored Links
Well, we needed the fire working for the brain to assume its warm although the fan heater is never used.

So after informing the insurance company of the poor service, the threat of moving our other appliances elsewhere and its not for us to find an agent etc.

I got a new transducer and seems all good now.

After installing the transducer, a phone call from the insurer saying they have found an agent. He rang to ask about the problem and ordering a part he thinks is the problem, to be fitted next week.

I shall put the old unit back for the agent to replace and keep my new transducer as a spare.

If these transducers are problematic, is it common to replace the ceramic disc if so. Why ?, when they can be cleaned.

So after informing the insurance company of the poor service, the threat of moving our other appliances elsewhere and its not for us to find an agent etc.

Useful companies are they not - see my own long thread about insurance cover and the problems my partner is having with one - 24/7.

Just one point to those coming here, buy the genuine 500ma transducer only. The china 650ma ones draw more than they say and the PCB sees that as a fault (trips at 780ma). Mine was 750ma but after an hour had crawled up and tripped

Just one point to those coming here, buy the genuine 500ma transducer only. The china 650ma ones draw more than they say and the PCB sees that as a fault (trips at 780ma). Mine was 750ma but after an hour had crawled up and tripped
Hi James, Thanks for the warning, I was about to buy a 650mA one, attracted by the £19 vs £73 price of the Dimplex transducer.

Could I ask what the normal life of these transducers should be?

My Optimyst fire is less than 2 years old, filtered water has always been used and the fire has had little use and then only for the flame effect. Dimplex have responded that the transducer is a "consumable part" and is not covered by their extended guarantee I have. I've had some experience of ultrasonic cleaners used in much harsher industrial applications and I don't recall transducers failing.

Hi James, Thanks for the warning, I was about to buy a 650mA one, attracted by the £19 vs £73 price of the Dimplex transducer.

Could I ask what the normal life of these transducers should be?

My Optimyst fire is less than 2 years old, filtered water has always been used and the fire has had little use and then only for the flame effect. Dimplex have responded that the transducer is a "consumable part" and is not covered by their extended guarantee I have. I've had some experience of ultrasonic cleaners used in much harsher industrial applications and I don't recall transducers failing.
Hi Roger,

If you haven't got the new transducer yet, I would recommend getting it from a company called "Electricspares" they are the cheapest genuine ones that I have found at £58.99, much cheaper than the £73.33 from UK Spares that Dimplex tell you to go to.

They also mention about the life-span of the transducers saying "All genuine Dimplex spares come with a 12 month guarantee, but the approximate life-span of a transducer is 1000 hours.".

Hope this helps.

Hi Roger,

If you haven't got the new transducer yet, I would recommend getting it from a company called "Electricspares" they are the cheapest genuine ones that I have found at £58.99, much cheaper than the £73.33 from UK Spares that Dimplex tell you to go to.

They also mention about the life-span of the transducers saying "All genuine Dimplex spares come with a 12 month guarantee, but the approximate life-span of a transducer is 1000 hours.".

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back