Dimplex Opti-Myst fires

Sponsored Links
Grabbed these as I'm working at the same show this weekend :sneaky:

IMG_1820.JPG

IMG_1821.JPG

IMG_1822.jpg

Hi Guys, First a plea for information and then some history.

Does anyone know of a source of supply for the 2.2Mhz Keri transducer membranes? I have trawled the internet for them but without success, I have ordered a set (one pair and fitting tool) from an agent of Dimplex, for an exorbitant price! There must be a better way?

I have tried various membranes from China and also the Maplins L41AK without success, all I seem to get is a small hump on the surface of the water.
I have had my Danville DNV20BL (Orange tank version) for around three years now and like others, I have had a few problems, but thankfully I have been able to find a solution or a work-around for them.

Year 1.

At the end of the first year and after following Dimplex’s instructions on how to store the fire for the summer, the mister refused to mist again, that winter!
However it would mist again if the fan was turned up to maximum and stop if it was turned down again!
The cure turned out to be as simple as removing the membrane, cleaning off the scale and refitting it again, a procedure I have become proficient at.

The second year I ignored the manufacturer’s instructions, and ran the fire a couple of nights a week. This worked fine until winter when the fire stopped working again.
By this time I had found this forum and taking note of one comment, purchased a L41AK membrane from Maplins…just in case! At the same time from fleabay I also purchased a replacement cheap mister.

The membrane in the Keri is well worn, damaged I think by the chrome that is peeling off the inside of the mister fixing ring when it is screwed and unscrewed to clean the disc. I now lubricate the bottom of the ring, where the disc sits. The Keri still works but the misting is very poor!
To this end I tried to improve matters by fitting the L41AK membrane, the results were no better! Oh well, back to the drawing board!

Year 2.

The spare transducer (mister) I got from fleabay didn’t fit, it was too big (I blame the poor details on the website lol) and purchased another that did fit! This was installed and worked faultlessly for about sixteen days, when it stopped misting. This I think is a problem with the mister as it will work intermittently but not reliably. I have tried various membranes in it but it is just the same.

I decided to give the mister that is too big, a try. I set it up as close to how the Keri was fixed, as it is possible to do, and to my surprise…worked just as good as the Keri.
To me this showed that the water depth is important but not critical, as there seems to be a little latitude in the measurement…or I’m just lucky?
This mister worked about as long as the previous one, I think that these cheap Chinese imports aren’t as robust as the Keri and don’t like the high temperature that the water gets too. I cleaned the membrane with a little white vinegar and this mister is what I’m using at the moment while I await the (overdue) arrival of the Dimplex spare parts.

Year 3.

Last year as if the membrane problems weren’t enough, the fire packed in, good and proper. I didn’t check to see if the heating elements and blower fan were working, I was more concerned about everything else!
I worked in the electrical industry and am a hobby electronics enthusiast, so I thought that I'd have a go. Out came the tools and the ‘Fluke’ multi-meter and the Danville was stripped down to its component parts!

The fire was mapped out and a Schematic drawing made up, backed up by various photographs. The fault was traced to the main circuit board which had one of the copper ‘lands’ (wiring tracks) damaged and open circuit, stopping most of the pcb getting power. On closer inspection of the type of damage, I can only assume that the varnish that protects the copper tracks was compromised in one spot during assembly of the fire, and exposed the copper underneath, to slow corrosion. This was easily fixed ready for the next problem!

Sponsored Links
Hi can anyone help, I have Dimplex Cavendish CSH20 fire, grey sump with a blue water container, the problem i have is that the black seal has broken, i called Dimplex and you need to purchase a new sump, has anyone else had this problem, any idea were to get new rubber seal?

Elizabeth T. Hi I'm sorry to say that you will either have to pay for a genuine part, or try and fabricate the part yourself. Is it possible to use something like silicon bath sealer, the type used to seal fish tanks should suffice? Or is the seal in the form of a large 'O' ring?
The fire I have is the orange tank type that has no seals, so I have no knowledge of what yours looks like, sorry.

Dont touch one of these contraptions with a barge pole. I am on the third transducer in just 18 months and now this one that cost me over £50 failed this morning. Another irritating thing about uselessmist is if one does not fill it with water when the transducer has failed again ie you just give up on this feature the damned thing bleeps and switches on and off. The remote control behaves like an out of control union and goes on strike regularly. A HORRIBLE EXPENSIVE HEAP OF CRAP.

We went looking for a "wood burning stove" effect recently. In the showroom, the salesman pointed us first at an Optimyst - my response was an emphatic "no Optimyst, unreliable and costly to repair". "But, we've had this running every day for a year, no problems, we just fill it every day" he said.
A couple of days after we bought something different, my mate told me that his Optimyst has broken down, again :rolleyes:

Is there anywhere I can buy the single transducer for my Optimyst electric fire? It's the large sump with one transducer, blue water container. They are advertised at £191 at Dimplex. I can fix it if I can find the correct transducer. Seems ridiculous to have to spend nearly £200 to fix it. Any ideas please?

There are 50 other posts in this thread that mention 'transducer' - I'm sure some of them mention suppliers - have you read through the thread?

Me and SWMBO went looking for a log effect stove to put in a blocked off fireplace - not for heating, just for visual effect. We were shown an Optimyst one first, and the salesman couldn't understand why I might rule one out. And the day after we bought one (not an Optimyst), a mate told me that his transducer has failed :whistle:

One of the bulb Lamp Holders as burned out i have removed it from the Bulb Holder Assembly It still works however with 3 Lamps and not 4.
Can you or does anybody know if it is possible to just get the lamp holder ? I have a Cavendish CSH20, Chesford CSD20 Model.

Hello all, just posting to mention that my transducer stop producing mist about two weeks ago. The lamps were still working and not turning off as some other people have mentionned but no mist. I have a model with the orange sump, two years old. I noticed a very small hole in the transducer disk and after reading many of the messages on here I decided to try and change the 20mm disk before ordering a new transducer. As I live in France, I ordered a new disk on Amazon France, it cost €6.20 with free delivery. The link is below which I have provided to allow you to compare with disks available in your country. It seems to be a fairly standard item
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B012F2QG7Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The replacement of the disk didn't work straight away. I had to open the transducer up again and make sure the disk was well centered and I also pulled the small spring up a little in the middle of the transducer to make sure that there is good contact with the disk . After that, I reinstalled the transducer in the unit; completely unplugged the unit from the mains and plugged it back in again. Now everything is working fine.

Thanks to all who posted on here, saved me about €80 :)

I am in the process of choosing an opti-myst fire but after reading the bad reviews on here I am now a bit unsure. Does anyone know if they have improved many of the faults listed on this forum as I notice some of the posts are a few years old
Hi All I'm new to this forum and found it very helpful. I've got a Dimplex Cassette 600 which is basically an insert type purely for flame effect, no heat. Like everyone here mine stopped making the smoke effect. Got the replacement ceramic disks £20 or so for 2, do dice !! I could see the transducer giving off a plume through the water, but no smoke? Ah well, bite the bullet, new transducer, £56. No dice, WHAT !!! Right stripped the whole thing down, and found 2 things, 1) The small 24vdc fan was caked in dust, so cleaned that. 2) The orange plastic piece that covers the water tank has a slot system to act as a chimney effect to draw the mist over the lamps. This has 6 self tapping screws holding it together and so comes in two. The inside of this was really heavily encrusted with limescale even though I only ever use filtered water. Cleaned this with limescale remover, and reassembled and WOW !! 'smoke' again even though I'm £80 lighter. By the way the fan, had it been gished, was £37 from Dimplex, or £1.87 (free delivery) from China. I've ordered one of the Chinese £3 transducers, I'll let you know if it works.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back