Dimplex Opti-Myst fires

Reliability - not much in them to go wrong, only a couple of lamps and an ultrasonic transducer. Lamps are easily replaced and the transducer should last for years.

Maintenance - keep the tank filled with water, and take it apart for cleaning occasionally.

The instructions suggest using filtered water, however that will still contain some impurtities which will result in cleaning being needed more often.
Better to use bottles of deionised water (as used to top up old type car batteries).

Just got mine installed but no mist do i have to wait for water to heat up?

Sponsored Links
Hi, hoping someone can help please. We have the Danville model, already had the same problems with the mister not working but bought spares and fixed it. The problem we have now is it won't turn on at all with the remote and we have to keep manually switching the controls on and off quite a few times before we can get it working. Strange thing though, we obviously turn the fire off at the end of the night but I definitely heard it beeping during the night when it was switched off. We're baffled, any ideas would be much appreciated.

As the misters are now about £60+ through Dimplex and this particular type are becoming very difficult to get hold of (Maplin no longer sell them or an alternative) I have done an E Bay search and found one at little more than £2 including delivery from China. Again these may be getting scarce to buy although at the moment there seem to be a number about.
Look on E bay for something like "New Air Humidifier Ultrasonic Mist Maker Fogger Water Fountain Pond Atomiser"
It must be 24vDC. The one I have bought states 24v DC/AC. It is black. Diameter about 3.6cm (36mm) Height about 2.5cm (25mm) Cable length about 90cm. Output 400 which is less then the original but, if, once dropped into the tray and turned on, you turn the mist volume up to maximum it supplies about the right amount of smoke (steam), a little above the normal minimum with the original mister. I have bought one and it fits, runs well, supplies the "smoke" and at a little over £2.00 including delivery is a bargain.

Certainly worth having - so much so that I have bought another one as a back up - just in case - as they say.

Look carefully though on E bay as there are lots of different ones for sale. Width about 3.6cm is important as is 24v DC.

Geoff.

21 December 2016

Have a CGN20 Dimplex fire what has suddenly developed a fault. Flame effect illuminates for about 45 secs and then switches off. Have inspected the sump pcb and there is no obvious burnt or damaged components. Given that the sump is very expensive, am I correct that this unit is the most likely item to have failed.

Sponsored Links
I don't think the sump is involved in the flame effect - it just does the "smoke"

Its the smoke that has failed as the lights suddenly switched off. Suspect it is a fault on the water level circuit or the ultrasonics as the lights illuminate for a short while and then turn off. Normally with low water the lamps only dim so the problem could be a fault with the ultrasonic transducers. Unclear if the upper pcb controls in any way the lower pcb.

Dimplex could have had a good product here.

But they have cut every corner they could, scrimped on every component, and basically at every single stage chosen to go down the cheapest, nastiest, lest reliable, least well made, lowest quality path they could find.

And it is that sort of attitude which has cost so many people their jobs in this country, not Polish builders.

For those that have a lower sump problem on these fires its cheaper to get the item serviced by Dimplex rather than purchase the item yourself. Cost of a service is £140 and includes all parts in the price.

I am in the process of choosing an opti-myst fire but after reading the bad reviews on here I am now a bit unsure. Does anyone know if they have improved many of the faults listed on this forum as I notice some of the posts are a few years old

Go back to whatever you consider "less than a few years" and see how many problems are reported after that point.

FWIW Dimplex are displaying at the Ideal Home Show the the London Olympia until the end of this weekend if anyone wants to see their wares and have a chat with them. They are giving away free Dimples the dragon's for your kids :)

By "chat" do you mean listing all of the problems people have described here, and asking them why they took what could have been a good idea, and ruined it by building it as cheaply as they could?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back