Dimplex Opti-Myst fires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone any knowledge of the Dimplex Opti-Myst electric fires. How reliable are they, what maintenance is required etc, SHMBO wants one.

Neil

Sponsored Links
Reliability - not much in them to go wrong, only a couple of lamps and an ultrasonic transducer. Lamps are easily replaced and the transducer should last for years.

Maintenance - keep the tank filled with water, and take it apart for cleaning occasionally.

The instructions suggest using filtered water, however that will still contain some impurtities which will result in cleaning being needed more often.
Better to use bottles of deionised water (as used to top up old type car batteries).

Say thank you with a push of a button ( as above). I think the info here is useful so here. I love these snippets of information that only come out with specific questions.

Martin

Sponsored Links
the transducers are usually good for 5000 hours dependant on the quality of water used

we bought a opti myst fire in September 2010 for about £410. Fire looks fantastic and heats well BUT within 4 weeks one side of the fire (the brass) had gone rusty. We contacted the manfacturer Dimplex and they sent a new brass piece. Last night we noticed that the other side has started to got rusty too !!! This is all within about 8 weeks. The brass on the fire has only been wiped with a dry micro fibre cloth and no cleaning products have been used at all. I will have to get in touch with Dimplex yet again as this seems to be a major problem with the fake "brass" of the fire. Disappointed really.

I bought a fire in August last year, due to having the house renovated it only got installed in November, it would work the 1st time i switched it on but if you switched it off and then decided within 5 hours or so to switch it back on it wouldnt start and just keeps bleeping and ive had an engineer out to it 3 times and they still havent fixed it, if there is so little to go wrong with them i really cant understand why my fire wont work, If they cant fix it next time i'll be after a replacement fire and give up on this one, not happy at all :(

After twelve months I had no optimyst 'smoke'. I traced it down to the transducer not working properly. After searching the web I discovered that a replacement one was £120!!!
However, I found a spares company in Bristol who supplied the little ceramic disc that screws into the transducer for £25.00 I gave it a go and bingo! it worked. It comes as a kit complete with a tool to remove and replace the disc.
The problem was that I had let the fire off all summer and had not drained the water out of the tank.

After twelve months I had no optimyst 'smoke'. I traced it down to the transducer not working properly. After searching the web I discovered that a replacement one was £120!!!
However, I found a spares company in Bristol who supplied the little ceramic disc that screws into the transducer for £25.00 I gave it a go and bingo! it worked. It comes as a kit complete with a tool to remove and replace the disc.
The problem was that I had let the fire off all summer and had not drained the water out of the tank.

Hi Electricman. I have the same problem. Can't find a spare except via Dimplex where they want to sell you the sump and everything at £120 + vat!! Do you remember the place you found a service kit?

Hi there
Yes, the company is

UK Spares
1155 Aztec West
Almondsbury
Bristol
BS32 4TF

www.uk-spares.com

email [email protected]

Telephone 01454 620500

The item description is

Transducer discs, part number 7511063
Note, there is only one disc in the pack.
It's called a mist-maker maintenance kit.

It's still a hefty price to pay for something the size of a 1p coin, but a lot cheaper than buying the full sump kit.

Note, the disc is provided inside a rubber grommet, this not a replacement washer so use the existing clear ones. Also, make sure that you fit it in the right way up.

When I am not going to be using the fire for a prolonged period I intend to

1, drain the sump, clean it and remove the transducer
2, take the disc out of the transducer and store it in the rubber grommet. The reason for that is, as you will see that there is water ingress in to the spring side of the transducer.

The fire that I have is the Danville model but I am pretty sure that the transducers are all the same, but you may want to ask the question.
Hope this helps
Regards

Hi,

Mine is also the Danville model. Good information. Many thanks!

Cheers
Steve

Thank you "Electricman."

We are about to buy the Dimplex "Danville" "Opymist" log effect fire, and I was concerned about faults and maintenance.

It is very comforting to know that I can obtain spares - and do the job myself if necessary.

Phil.

Having turned the unit off for the summer, I have just tried to start using it again, it seems that the transducer has water damage, so I (after reading this forum) I ordered a replacement disk from UK Spares, a very quick response and the disk is on its way, however, see the copy f the invoice below and check the cost of the disk and the delivery charge!
=============================================
SKUProduct NameProduct statusPriceQtyTotal incl VAT.
7511063 Dimplex 7511063 Shipped £12.32
1 £14.78 Subtotal incl VAT.£14.78
Standard UK Shipping£8.40
Total£23.18
=============================================
Watch out, collect it if you are near.

If you are going to have to replace the transducer on a yearly basis, maybe you should have bought more than 1.

How big an order would you have needed to get free shipping?

If you are going to have to replace the transducer on a yearly basis, maybe you should have bought more than 1.

How big an order would you have needed to get free shipping?

I do not envisage having to replace it annually, I assume because I left it connected when closing down for the summer, that caused the problem, and as far as I can see, there is no discount for multiple orders

BTW It arrived today and the postage paid was £2.45, a bit less than the £8.40 specified.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back