Dimplex Optymist Electric Fire - KAPUT! Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our Dimplex Optymist BYP20_BK fire has died a year and a week after we bought it. I'm only now discovering (confirmed on other threads here) that Dimplex has the worst customer service I've ever encountered.

The "real fire" effect part of the fire has been lightly used throughout the year. We haven't used the heater at all. We always use filtered water etc.

The "fire" was working perfectly up until this week. One day, when we switched it on (having worked perfectly the previous day) the lights came on but there was no mist. The display read cd06. We searched online exhaustively for "cd06" but could only find info about cd01-cd05.

We then tried the old "turn the plug off and on". That made matters worse: now, when we turn the fire on, there is not even a light. The stove just emits a regular beeping noise (about 2 seconds between beeps) and if you press the on/off button whilst it is doing this, the display shows ‘INS-‘ momentarily, coinciding with each beep.

We’ve carried out the cleaning regimen for the sump and transducer, as described on page 7 of the operating instruction manual (08/53418/0 ISSUE 5 OCN 11495) to no avail.

We have searched and searched every Dimplex and Optymist related website and forum online but cannot find a single mention of the above issues.

Meanwhile, I'm finding it impossible to reach anyone from Dimplex and had no reply from their online help system either.

These fires are not cheap and I feel like a total idiot for getting seduced by a fancy mist trick!

Has anyone here ever had any of the above happen with their optimyst electric fire? If so, what did you do? Or - do you know of any Dimplex fire repair people in London or surrounding area? Can anyone help? Huge thanks in advance if you can.

Sponsored Links
How about returning it to the retailer under the Consumer Rights Act (google it). It gives you six years protection in England and Wales (5 in Scotland). Don't be put off if they try the out of guarantee trick. The guarantee is in addition to your consumer rights. As you have only had 1 years use out of it instead of a reasonable 6 you should be looking at getting 5/6 of your money back.

Sponsored Links
The act give you protection against faulty purchases that don't last a reasonable time, generally 6 years. One remody is a partial refund reflecting the use you have had out of it.

In this particular case as it is less than 2 years old the EU 2 year guarantee legislation (which has not been repealed) can be used.

I love it when posters propose that other people enter protracted and expensive legal action to bolster their own egos.

The act give you protection against faulty purchases that don't last a reasonable time, generally 6 years. One remody is a partial refund reflecting the use you have had out of it.

In this particular case as it is less than 2 years old the EU 2 year guarantee legislation (which has not been repealed) can be used.
Thanks so much for this. In theory I’d be interested in doing this but right now, I just want it to work and am finding it impossible to get advice or find someone to repair it.

The act give you protection against faulty purchases that don't last a reasonable time, generally 6 years
That is just wrong. The six years merely aligns it with the time limits for breach of contract. Nothing to do with how long something should last.

After a year and a week. It's not fit for purpose
Probably, but you can't simply return it for a refund. After six months the consumer has the burden of proof that the defect existed at delivery.

Thanks so much for this. In theory I’d be interested in doing this but right now, I just want it to work and am finding it impossible to get advice or find someone to repair it.
Who have you asked for advice apart from on here?

Your first point of contact is the retailer you bought it from as you have a contract with him not Dimplex. Have you spoken to him. Best to talk to the manager not someone on the till.
Point out you wish compensation under the Consumer Rights Act as it should last longer than a year and a week.

Where did you purchase it from? Some retailers have excellent customer service. Also have a look at this

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back