Dimplex storage heater not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Dimplex XL18N (S/N: 002440/01 WW) storage heater which is not working (and never has since i moved into the property). It's always completely cold, despite setting the input to the highest level.

I've tried re-connecting it to the electricity supply with a new double pole switch.

I've also tried resetting it - however i couldn't find an obvious reset button or anything which resembles what online info has suggested should be there. Between the 3 white rolls on the right and the single white roll on the left is a curved metal clip. This was up, so not making contact with the metal piece below, so i pushed that back down. The heater is still not functioning though.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks

20161106_110540.jpg 20161106_110555.jpg 20161106_110607.jpg

Sponsored Links
Have you checked there is power to the DP switch?

Regards,

DS

Have you checked there is power to the DP switch?

Regards,

DS

Yeah, that's why i installed a new one which has a power indicator light on it so i'd know for sure it's actually getting power. It comes on like it should during the Economy 7 hours.

The overheat reset is that white plastic button hiding below the white wire. If it trips again the input stat is faulty. Looking at the amount of rust, a new heater won't be a bad option. If you do just replace the input stat, replace the cutout as well, they usually come as a kit.

Sponsored Links
The overheat reset is that white plastic button hiding below the white wire. If it trips again the input stat is faulty. Looking at the amount of rust, a new heater won't be a bad option. If you do just replace the input stat, replace the cutout as well, they usually come as a kit.

Great, thank you. I've just pressed that button, so hopefully i'll see later that it worked. If i do end up replacing the input stat/cut out, presumably this is fine?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I'm not sure that is the correct one, the XL18N model has been around for many years and the internals have changed many times. I think there is a conversion kit for fitting newer stats. Here is a better place to look, phone the company if you are unsure, letting them know the model, serial and series codes.

Between the 3 white rolls on the right and the single white roll on the left is a curved metal clip. This was up, so not making contact with the metal piece below, so i pushed that back down.

I missed this before, looking at the photo the stat is now busted and needs to be replaced.

Did i bust it by pushing the metal clip?

I've emailed that site and Dimplex about the correct part. Thanks.

Yes, it's not supposed to be buckled like that! It's a finely calibrated component.

Ha, ok, that makes sense. Hopefully i'll get a quick response so i can purchase and fit a new one. Thanks for the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back