Dimplex unidare WMS724N storage heater not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, hoping somebody can help. I have a unidare WMS724N storage heater that's not working. An electrician I know had a quick look and couldn't see anything wrong with the supply.

After a bit of reading, I've seen that it's common for thermal fuses to blow/trip. Does anyone know what the thermal trip would look like or whether it's something that can be reset?

There's some odd lever I've highlighted?

Attachments

• 20230219_111557.jpg
    20230219_111557.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 116
  • 20230219_113556.jpg
    20230219_113556.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 113
  • 20230219_111400.jpg
    20230219_111400.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 125
Sponsored Links
Unless you know why a thermal fuse has ruptured, I would be worried about just changing it, the temperatures that a storage heater can get to are frighting, most have multiple safety devices, some which trip and some which rupture, but to DIY repairs could be very dangerous.

To overheat it likely means some regulator has failed, so that would need changing as well as any thermal fuse or cut out.

The thermal fuse or trip is either within the control assembly, or may be a separate item. Some heaters have more than one.
Either way, 2 minutes with a multimeter or other continuity device will identify it.

The item circled in blue is what opens or closes the flap over the vent to the element core, so that more or less heat can be emitted. It's controlled by the 'output' knob and also by the temperature of the core.
It's 100% mechanical. Unrelated to it not working.

The fuse/overheat trip opening is usually due to people draping towels or other items on the heater, or locating furniture in front of it.

Thanks both. Yes, I assumed it was due to people drying towels even though I've told them not to.

There was another heater in the same property which also wasn't working. I managed to find the mechanical trip on that one (watched a YouTube video).

The one mentioned in my post might be a bit more tricky then. Maybe I'll look to replace it, although that seems a bit extreme.....

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back