Dimplex XLE night storage heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a property wired for night storage but none fitted and it's on the Economy 10 tariff. Has anyone got any experience of the Dimplex XLE range as to whether they work on the E10 tariff or just E7?
I've emailed Dimplex and they say they do work on E10 but the reply is from the sales dept and there doesn't appear to be a tech contact phone number so I'm not sure if that's relaible info. There is some old info on the Dimplex youtube vids about the Quantum heaters which talk about 420 minutes charge time which is E7.
Any comments appreciated as to the XLE on E10 tariff and whether they are as good as Dimplex claim.

Sponsored Links
E10 is just E7 plus another 3 hours in the afternoon of cheaper rate electricity.

Dimplex are a popular make.
You will also require a 24 hour supply (at the day rate) for the XLE controls and boost although, obviously you can time it for the 3 afternoon hours.

Thanks for reply EFL although my E10 is provided by EON and is 5 at night;3 in afternoon and 2 in evening.
The Elnur night storage heaters tech spec: "Compatible with two-period off-peak electric tariff in a single 24hr interval." so I'm assuming these would not be compatible with my tariff as I have 3 off-peak periods.
I understand that the old storage heaters will take in charge whenever connected to off-peak supply until the input thermostat is satisfied but I can't find anything in writing whether the new Dimplex electronic controllled ones do the same, as it looks like the Elnur ones do not.
As you say, Dimplex are popular so I would prefer those for after-sales service and spares should be readily available.
Yes there is a fused connection point next to the off-peak switches for day-rate elecricity.

although my E10 is provided by EON and is 5 at night;3 in afternoon and 2 in evening.
Ah. right. That is unusual.

The Elnur night storage heaters tech spec: "Compatible with two-period off-peak electric tariff in a single 24hr interval." so I'm assuming these would not be compatible with my tariff as I have 3 off-peak periods.
I suspect they are probably also not familiar with the three time periods.
It can't make any difference to the heater. They don't actually do anything except heat the element until, as you say, until the thermostat is satisfied.

I understand that the old storage heaters will take in charge whenever connected to off-peak supply until the input thermostat is satisfied but I can't find anything in writing whether the new Dimplex electronic controllled ones do the same, as it looks like the Elnur ones do not.
No, neither can I see anything specific but seeing the complexity of the programmer, it seems unlikey that there is not an "off" option - for summer for example.

Sponsored Links
I've spoken to a supplier 'HWElectric' who only deal with domestic heaters of all types and the guy did appear to know the subject. He said the XLE range would definitely charge during the three off-peak periods of my E10 so I'm going to order one to start with and see how it works.
Thanks for your comments.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back