Dipping toe into painting

My intention is to minimise both the paint and air feed, at the expense of spending more time laying down paint. The insufficient air condition may never arise. It all depends on what is the minimum air needed to atomise the paint. If the physical minimum is, say, 5 CFM, then the small compressor will never work. But it seems obvious that a deliberately thinned down paint would need less air to atomise, same way that water would atomise easier than paint.
If you over thin the paint, you won't get the proper film thickness. You can't compensate for that with more layers or attempting to apply more paint as there has to be a certain film thickness for the paint to flow and self level. Plus you'll spend a load more money on thinners and you'll get a crap finish. You'd be better off with rattle cans....

Sponsored Links
here is a youtube vid of a guy spraying with a small compressor -still bigger than yours and he is saying he kept running out of air

the clear coat requires a lot more air than the base coat

and if you are spraying primer, good luck with spraying that with a small compressor

If you over thin the paint, you won't get the proper film thickness. You can't compensate for that with more layers or attempting to apply more paint as there has to be a certain film thickness for the paint to flow and self level. Plus you'll spend a load more money on thinners and you'll get a crap finish. You'd be better off with rattle cans....
Id like to see a video of him trying to spray over thinned paint

Spraying car paint or even furniture paint is not easy even with the right set up, with a very cheap compromised setup its almost impossible to get a worthwhile finish

Ive mostly sprayed joinery paints with an air assisted airless pump set up -TBF that is pretty easy, but we are talking paint as thick as brush applied emulsion and a wet film coat of around 200 microns.

You must have used a HVLP gun then. More than likely you misted up the entire room.
Didn't take you long to go from "starting thread using only a little knowledge and no experience" to "telling experienced people what they're doing wrong"

How did you acquire the skills and experience to do that in the few hours interim, with no gear?

Oh wait..

Sponsored Links
Everything ordered. Everything apart from the compressor and paint will be coming from china. They have a big sale there at the moment and doing an 8 day delivery. £200 spent on the project so far excluding paint. The paint will cost another £200, for sample and 2.5L on top. The total is not as expensive as initially thought but still expensive.

I didn't get this kit. Carmanmemoranda will struggle with this one. If the mini compressor is no use for painting, why would they sell a kit for it? I expect no miracles, but limping along with the compressor should be possible.

View attachment 337045
Good for you.

Small compressors and guns will work on paint, that's why they sell them. But not car paint.

Carry on. Let us know the results.

Told you, but you wouldn't listen. A fool and his money are easily parted

here is a youtube vid of a guy spraying with a small compressor -still bigger than yours and he is saying he kept running out of air

the clear coat requires a lot more air than the base coat

and if you are spraying primer, good luck with spraying that with a small compressor

I've told him he needs more air, but he knows best.

I should say, I've tried to tell him, but he doesn't want advice, he wants to tell us how superior he is.

given that youve never posted any pictures, i think you might just be trolling, apologies if thats not the case
Nothing to show cos everything is still at shops or on way. Here's a quick sample. Even after getting the compressor tomorrow or the day after, I may not show it for privacy/lazy reasons. Trust me, bro. This is the best I can offer.

orders.png

Not sure if it has already been said, my advice is to use a paint brush unless you have a foot fetish!

Andy

Sponsored Links
Back