Dipping woodwork to remove paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm about to restore the sash and case windows in my house, fortunately they are in decent condition.... But unfortunately the are thick with years of layers of paint, I know 'dipping' woodwork is not the best method of paint removal for the wood as it dries it out, but it is time effective and would suit me. However i live some distance from the nearest place that dips woodwork and they are rather expensive. Does anyone know what the name of the chemical is that is used in the dipping process and whether it is readily available to the public for sale?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I thought it was caustic soda, and that is very nasty stuff indeed. Don't even think about DIYing that - how will you dispose of the effluent? It might be worth your while with a large tub of nitromors though.

Nozzle

do not dip them you will ruin them they will loose the glue and strength
they will also need several weeks to dry and shrink to size and they may require you to remove the glass to do so

Sponsored Links
I'll be replacing the glass with double glazing and also replacing the astrical anyway, I'm not a big fan of nitromorse either as don't find it very effective.... And by all accounts I reckon it'd be just as nasty as caustic soda

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back