Dips in floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have just moved in to an upside down property. The living room has a few areas where there are noticeable dips in the flooring. There are also other less noticeable dips in the hallway at the top of the stairs. I haven't yet managed to pull back the carpet for a detailed look, however I am concerned as to what to expect and the potential cost of rectifying the issue.

The property was built circa. 1979.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Are these dips causing a problem?

I've been in many houses with dips in the floor, but it's hardly like puddles will form in them is it.

There are 2 dips in the living room that I would say do need repairing. When you stand on them the floor dips down and can be a tripping hazard.

I'm going to pull the carpet back for an inspection in the next couple of days. I am hoping it just needs some replacement chipboard.

Has someone been cutting holes in the floor, to route cables and so on?
All should be revealed with the carpets back.
Certainly there shouldn't be any structural issues!
John :)

Sponsored Links
I pulled up the carpet last night and the flooring is made up of chipboard. It would appear that the chipboard has weakened leading to dips in certain areas.

I am guessing it will be a fairly simple job of removing the damaged chipboard and replacing with new chipboard?

Many thanks

Looks like someone has cut the tongues of the chipboard to gain access and not put battens under to support the joint.

I know of two bungalows which were built in 1973 and 1975. The chipboard was not of the P5 variety and has suffered badly. it has gone all "crispy" almost as though the glue has evaporated. It dips between joists and really should be ALL replaced before some one goes through it. Just a cheery note!
Frank

Looks like someone has cut the tongues of the chipboard to gain access and not put battens under to support the joint.

Hi maltaron

What would the tongues of the chipboard mean and battens to support the joint. I am hoping it should be a simple remove and replace job.

Thanks for your help.

Frank - Thanks!!

Flooring Chipboard is tongued and grooved at the joints. The only way to lift a board to gain access underneath is to cut the tongue with a hand saw or floorboard saw. When the board is replaced it is normal to fix a batten under the long edge of the board that has not been moved to support the joint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back