disabled access

fth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me if there is a regulation for wheelchair access as an inspectoris coming round tomorrow to access the door frames we have tried the wheelchair through the upper bedroom floors and there is ample space but he is saying that they still need to be widened is there a building reg or safety reg that meets these standardrds before they rip my house apart.

Sponsored Links
Yes there is some regulation about disabled access with wider doors, sockets and light switches half way up the wall, a ramp fitted to the front door for wheelchairs, a proper solid path to the front door for wheelchairs etc, but I thought this was for new build or complete renovations :confused:

Dave is correct as far as I know; regulations on disabled access & facilities only apply to new build & possibly major renovations/extensions. As far as I am aware you cannot be forced to rip your existing house apart to cater for disabled access.

Sponsored Links
What is the reason for the "inspector's" visit?

Are we talking about domestic or 'commercial' (eg care home etc.) here?

Our experience is that in our own home the existing doorways have been considered adequate, but many day care and respite facilities have had to widen doorways etc. to comply with the latest legislation.

JohnD said:
What is the reason for the "inspector's" visit?

it is to determine what grant she can have and work done, he has been once and basicaly was going to rip the house apart, he says we need all the doors upstairs wider but we have no problem getting the wheelchair through, he also wants us to have another front door on the gable end which i am not keen about has the other door is no problem getting through.

fth said:
it is to determine what grant she can have and work done, he has been once and basicaly was going to rip the house apart, he says we need all the doors upstairs wider but we have no problem getting the wheelchair through, he also wants us to have another front door on the gable end which i am not keen about has the other door is no problem getting through.

Whose "she"? Are you saying your sharing your house with someone who is disabled & the work is to be done under a grant? If so & it’s being paid for, it’s probably a condition of the grant that the work has to comply with current regulations which would explain why he is insisting it meets Part M!

Richard C said:
fth said:

Whose "she"? Are you saying your sharing your house with someone who is disabled & the work is to be done under a grant? If so & it’s being paid for, it’s probably a condition of the grant that the work has to comply with current regulations which would explain why he is insisting it meets Part M!

yes i am sharing a house with a stroke victim and the fella from the sicial services says thet the bedroom doors and bathroom doors have to be widened but my argument is why when i can get through no trouble with the wheelchair, i beleive he is just finding work to do is there a set measurement the doors should be.

arrrh i see, you might be able to get through the door in a wheel chair but could you do it if there was a real life emergency such a fire????? would it slow you down or make you stop!!!!

that would be the need for wider doors and passageways.

if im correct as per neghbour down the rd. social services pays the lot dont they!!!

in bathrooms, it is considered necessary for two carers to be able to get in, past the wheelchair and possibly a person fallen onto the floor by the WC, to lift them out. This needs quite a lot of space. If the door opens into the room it can make it more difficult. there are special doors that can be released outwards in an emergency.

Most ordinary bathroms have little space round the basin, bath and WC.

It may also be necessary to get a hoist in there to lift the person between chair and WC.

I have a disabled relation who had a partition wall removed to give easy access following a stroke.

fth said:
yes i am sharing a house with a stroke victim and the fella from the sicial services says thet the bedroom doors and bathroom doors have to be widened but my argument is why when i can get through no trouble with the wheelchair, i beleive he is just finding work to do is there a set measurement the doors should be.

Who is coming round, Social Services or Building Services? A Building Inspector can only require that the work complies with current standards, he can't just “find” work or be “bloody minded”; although some are & will try to interpret the regulations with their own slant! It doesn't matter that you can get your wheelchair through the existing door, if it doesn’t comply with the specified minimum opening & approach access, then it's no good. If the building is being converted for disabled access, both Social Services & the Building Inspector will want to ensure that it will be suitable for use by ANY disabled person in the future.

To find out what the regulations are, I suggest you read Part M (see the link posted by Dan Robinson) & if you think the Social Services or the Building Inspector is misinterpreting the regulations then you have the right to question & appeal but if Social Services are paying for the work, I don’t really see the problem!

He could also realy be advising what work 'needs' to be done.
When I say 'need', this is more to do with needs of the disabled person, rather than the need to meet building regs.

Social services will also install handles, shower chairs, ramps and all sorts of things, if they are needed.

All doorways have to have a clearance of 1m that are too be accessed by wheechair. You used to be able to fit 926mm doors which are plenty big enough, but now you have to cut them out of a door blank.Just another stupid idea by someone justifying there job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back