Access to the front door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I have a new build house and as per disabled access regs they have built a paved ramp to the front door. Now I understand the reasoning for this, but why anyone thinks that a disabled person would want to buy a three storey house with two spiral style staircases is beyond me! It would be totally impractical for anyone who needed to use a wheelchair to live here.

Anyway, back on topic. Because of the way the landscaping has been done at the front it looks naff. Basically I want to dig it all out flat rather than the sort of mound that it is now. What I want to know is can I remove this ramp and replace with a step or does this mean that I am breaking the building regs. In other words, just because the builder has to do that for the regs, does it mean that I am forced to live with it?

Sponsored Links
i'll bet the electricians have put in low energy light fittings too, and i bet you're gonna be changing them cos they look naff! ;)

Dented, what the heck has this to do with electrics???? :rolleyes:

You're better off in building regulations, maybe a kind moderator will move you.

TTC, I never realised. how ironic that I gave it an electrical slant :LOL:

Sponsored Links
The disabled guff only enables them to get via in the nominated spacca access and to a downstairs bog. Other than that, they're on their own. My house is split level, with the lounge downstairs and the entrance at the middle level. Still had to comply with all that bollix though, although I did successfully fight the requirement to have the bog door opening outwards (butyou can't even do that these days).

You could remove it. You might have problems when you come to sell though. Especially if you have the misfortune to have a disabled person express an interest and who notices that you've removed it. Before you can shout out "window licker", the wrath of the do-gooders will be upon you, you will be named and shamed in the local rag, hordes of wheelchair warriors will find out where you live and throw bricks through your window.

But at least, without the ramp, you know that they won't be able to get in and tear you limb from limb.

Disabled regs really apply to a dwelling to enable a wheelchair bound visitor to be able to visit and use the toilet. Unreasonable? Lo and behold any of you ever end up in a wheelchair!

i'll bet the electricians have put in low energy light fittings too, and i bet you're gonna be changing them cos they look naff! ;)
Tsk, they'll have us putting insulation in the walls next! Where will it end?

Still had to comply with all that bollix though, although I did successfully fight the requirement to have the bog door opening outwards (butyou can't even do that these days).
And if you'd ever had the displeasure of trying to help someone who'd collapsed on the other side of the door you'd apreciate that one a bit more too.

The likelihood of that happening in my life is sufficiently remote for it not to be an issue. Pots and pans time as ever.

There are those who believe that the DDA and BRegs confer a divine right on dribblies and spaccas to enter *any* house when they need a james or dump. Such is the power of pc facism.

oops, sorry - new to the site and didn't realise there were different areas for different specilisations. Apologies.

I did get the energy saving lamps yeah, but I actually like them!! I know I'm in a minority, but I've fitted more of them! You have to pick the right manufacturer to get the best light though. I find Philips are the best. Quicker to warm up and the light level is better.

The one that really gets me though is the height of the switches and sockets. I've got used to the switches being low, but I hate the sockets being so far up the wall. And as someone else said to me when we bought it - it's all very well putting the switches at a level that a wheelchair user can reach, but how are they going to change a lamp when it blows or reset a circuit breaker when the consumer unit is 2m up in the toilet.

I guess if it is meant for visitors then that doesn't apply. I still think it is sledgehammer to crack a nut territory though.

Thanks for all your thoughts.

And as someone else said to me when we bought it - it's all very well putting the switches at a level that a wheelchair user can reach, but how are they going to change a lamp when it blows or reset a circuit breaker when the consumer unit is 2m up in the toilet.
You're making the mistake of equating legislation with logic. Nothing is so important as making our less-able brethren feel included-in; PC fascism is all, logic has no place in it. When the DDA was first drafted, access ramps were to be included for holiday boats. Then someone said "Tides...?".

And as someone else said to me when we bought it - it's all very well putting the switches at a level that a wheelchair user can reach
The elderly have trouble bending down too. We'll all be there one day. Yea they fought in WWII but stuff'em eh?

Ah yes, but when I'm elderly I won't want to live in a four bedroomed three storey house with two staircases in it.

If we are supposed to be making the less able people fit in, why do we still build them separate toilets so they stand out when they use them? Shouldn't we just include all the facilities they need into the one room which everyone uses? That would integrate them far more?

And as Jimmy Carr said - "Disabled toilets, ironically the only ones big enough to run around in"

Ah yes, but when I'm elderly I won't want to live in a four bedroomed three storey house with two staircases in it.

So all people who have trouble bending down cannot climb stairs then?

If we are supposed to be making the less able people fit in, why do we still build them separate toilets so they stand out when they use them? Shouldn't we just include all the facilities they need into the one room which everyone uses? That would integrate them far more?

You've lost me here, do you mean disabled bogs in public buildings etc? If thats what you mean I agree however disabled toilets take up more room than standard bogs and in this day and age unfortunately there has to be a compromise between supplying adequate facilities and the peeps paying for the building. Access to and around buildings is about giving less able bodied people adequate access, why is that so hard for people to grasp? Its amazing how soon people change their attitude once they have direct contact with people requiring these outragous facilities!

Actually, I've been there. I was wheelchair bound for several months following a serious road accident. Now I know this in no way compares to a lifetime disability, but it does give me some insight into the issues that people with those disabilities face. One thing I would never expect of any able bodied person is that they should have to alter the way they live just so that I can visit their house. If they want to do that for me because I am their friend then that's great, but they shouldn't be forced to do it through regulation.

Now, I think that the larger sized doors and the toilet door opening outwards are both good ideas and rightly added to the regs, but I think that requiring people to have ramps with specified gradients to their front doors goes too far.

As for the people bending down not being able to climb stairs I think we've lost each other with that one. Your comment was about elderly people having trouble bending down but was referenced to a comment about switches being low on the wall meahing they wouldn't have to. Possibly you were wanting to refer to the sockets being higher on the wall which would make more sense, but then my comment kind of still stands. I would want to move to a suitable bungalow, possibly in shetered accomodation where it makes sense to have them higher on the walls as you know that they are going to be inhabited by elderly people. Most elderly people do not continue to live in four bedroomed family homes.

I just think it looks unsightly with sockets at half a meter up the wall and I think the DDA regs go too far for domestic dwellings. It's an opinion I am entitled to. I guess we may just have to agree to disagree.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back