Disassemble kitchen unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks,

Just wondering if anyone could suggest how I might remove/adjust the top of a kitchen unit? The top panel is directly in line with the little test ports for a gas combi boiler. The plumber can't get the probes into the test ports to test the gases, so will have to do something with the top of the unit.

You can see in the pics there's a cutout for the top of the boiler but it's not suitable for the probes. Can anyone suggest what I could do about this? That top trim appears to be glued at the joints? Have unscrewed it from the top of the unit, but it's not screwed together at the joints. So would I have to remove the entire trim all around the top of the units? Would I have to completely remote the top panel or does anyone have any suggestions? I can take more pics if that helps.

Hoping to avoid having to get a carpenter in again, but currently it's looking that way.

Thanks!

Baps.

Attachments

• IMG_20200701_220227.jpg
    IMG_20200701_220227.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_20200701_220635.jpg
    IMG_20200701_220635.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_20200701_220645.jpg
    IMG_20200701_220645.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 171
Sponsored Links
With care! I would slip a bit of metal between the boiler case and the worktop to protect the boiler case and any pipes while working, then use a multitool to open up the cupboard top to suit.
Bad job though much better to have had no top at all on the cupboard at some point a fitter will be spitting feathers trying to repair it, also any joints on the flue should be accessible to check at service.
Looks to be at high level, is it? The multi tool might still be your best bet for complete removal, a metal blade down the side might cut the fixing bolts usually two each side. Them a brace bar across the top to keep the door true.

Last edited:
Thanks footprints. Yeah it's pretty high up. Not entirely sure why it had to go there, but plumber was adamant that's where it had to go. Which I'm still not clear on since there's plenty of space beneath it.

Anyway I could probably just cut a larger portion out of the top panel if I'm getting your suggestion correctly. I'm just not really sure how much clearance they need to get the probes in. Messy all round really.

Thanks!

What is on either side? Take a wider pic please.

Mine is in a dummy cabinet with a 400mm door on the front, no top or bottom, and strips fixed to the units on either side for the hinges to screw onto, and for the door to close against.

The front of the boiler casing comes off for servicing, but as the cabs are hung on rail, I could lift them out of the way if necessary

Sponsored Links
Tiny unit on the left, then cooker. Other side the boiler is pretty much right up against the wall. Does that help?

Baps.

Attachments

• IMG_20200702_193118.jpg
    IMG_20200702_193118.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 127
I can't see how it's fixed to the wall.

Probably these
s-l1600.jpg

it will be difficult to reach the screws to release them, and the cab is probably fixed to the adjoining sides.

I think you'll have to cut a wide gap in the top of your unit. It might sag, and need a brace, but it will be in the way when the case has to come off for servicing.

I don't think the person who decided to install it like that was very bright.

If it gets damaged and you need to do it again, just make a dummy with only the sides and door. No top or bottom.

Yeah I'll cut the top panel then and see if that's ok for the plumber. I can't really figure how much clearance he needs to get at the little ports at the top of the boiler, but if it's more than the depth of the unit I guess it will have to come out.

Couldn't get the plumber to talk to the kitchen guy when it was getting built. So ended up with this.

Thanks!

Baps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back