Kitchen fitting - architrave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Am fitting a new kitchen (have done a couple before). However I have never bothered with decorative architrave over the top of the wall units before.

My problem is that I have a 4.5m run on one side of the kitchen, which necessitates a straight joint between two pieces of the architrave. Can anyone advise me as to the best way to make the joint so that it shows as little as possible?

Iain

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
In very simple terms it is a 45 degree mitre, but without turning a corner so both cuts will be in the same direction, does that make sense ? :confused:

Google scarf joint and you will find some piccies :cool:

When you make the joint leave your architrave long in case you make a hash of the joint in the first attempt, if you leave it long by 100mm or so you can cut out the hashed up joint and have another go without wasting expensive timber.

Use Mitre fix to make your joint
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Building-Adhesives/Instant-Mitre-Fix/invt/240563

Yep, got you, do them all the time, but didn't realise they were called scarf joints. Albeit there is a scarf joint on the picture which relates to timber framed buildings that looks extremely difficult.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back