Disc and pad replacement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need pads and discs on my 02 plate mk5 Fiesta.

I am confident to replace the pads as Iv seen it done and I am fairly handy with socket set. How difficult would it be to replace the discs as well?

Would I have to let fluid out of the system or can it be done without touching the fluid? id like to have a go at this myself. Its MOT time at the end of the month so will have to be done to pass. The garage have quoted £75 but Iv seen disc and pad sets for around £35.

Any advice tips or help much appreciated. Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Dead easy mate, you usually have to remove the caliper bracket too (2 bolts).
You dont need to remove the caliper from the brake pipe or touch any bleed nipples. Just push the piston back slowly, and watch the master cylinder doesn't overflow.
The disc then just taps off from the hub.
There may be a couple of screws holding the disc on, or more often just a round circlip that you prise off.
Burners tip of the week - clean the hub down to bright metal with emery cloth then add a thin layer of Coppaslip grease before putting the new disc on.
John :)

make sure the pads are a nice fit in the calipers and will move freely, if they dont you may need to file a small amount of the paint off the pad edges to allow them to. A little bit of copper grease on these areas too

Ok thanks for the help! Another quick couple of question....

The last thing Im worried about is resetting the calliper pistons to there original position. Iv seen this done with a special tool but don't have anything. Can it be done with thumbs and something flat to get some leverage? I'm worried about this having an effect on the fluid? Anything I should watch out for here?

Cheers :)

Sponsored Links
No probs mate, you can use slip joint pliers, 'g' cramp or anything else to get the piston back slowly. It doesn't need rotating but careful not to damage its rubber boot as water gets in if you do!
The fluid level in the master cylinder will rise, so don't let it spill as it takes paint off :eek:

It's best to loosen the cap and wrap a rag around the master cylinder reservoir before pushing the piston back.
The reason being; if someone has topped the reservoir up with a worn set of pads in, if you leave the lid on and push the piston back the fluid will come out through the breather hole like a fountain and go all over the place.

So when pushing it back the brake fluid reservoir lid should be off?
There will be a small vent hole in the cap, the system has to breath when brake pedal is depressed.

Wotan

I don't understand this sorry :s. Would you mind elaborating? I appreciate the help! If there is a vent hole in the cap how come the fluid doesnt escape from it when you compress the brakes?

Underneath the cap there's usually a rubber dirt / moisture seal but the reservoir is still open to the atmosphere.....it has to be to allow the fluid to flow into the system as the brakes wear.
So, if you push the pistons back the fluid will escape either way - lid off or on. With the lid off, its easier to decant excess brake fluid.

So when pushing it back the brake fluid reservoir lid should be off?
There will be a small vent hole in the cap, the system has to breath when brake pedal is depressed.

Wotan

I don't understand this sorry :s. Would you mind elaborating? I appreciate the help! If there is a vent hole in the cap how come the fluid doesnt escape from it when you compress the brakes?
The fluid gravity feeds into the master cylinder through whats known as the recuperation port, when the brake pedal is pushed this port closes, and brake fluid is then compressed to work the brakes.

Wotan

Ok Iv got that I think.

So just loosely open the lid to the brake fluid reservoir to let excess fluid escape when I push back the piston and then close it off again when Im done?

Think Im ready to have a go at this now :)

Cheers!

Is a breaker bar necessary for this job? Also can it be done on car jack or will it need to be on stands or a trolley jack?

You shouldn't need a breaker bar and you should always support a car on axle stands.

Sponsored Links
Back