discharging batteries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some power tool batteries i want to re-condition. If i was to take a standard bulb and solder wires to it and connect to the batt i know that would drain it.

Am i right in thinking that if i connected a 40watt bulb to an 18v battery i'd be drawing over 2amps?

How fast would it discharge an 18v 1.7ah battery?

I'm interested in the above and will most likely use a much smaller bulb but any answers would be interesting!

Sponsored Links
A 40 watt 18 volt bulb would draw 2.2 amp but a 24 volt bulb at same wattage would be 1.2 amp and this will drop as it discharges.

Although it is good to completely flatten a cell it is not good to reverse charge a cell so when cells are connected together and we have a battery of cells than one should avoid going to 0 volts as this may cause some cells to reverse charge.

Also the heat of a soldering iron is unlikely to help the battery and I would not solder but find another way to connect.

It would take around 1.6 hours to discharge using a 24 volt 40 watt bulb but I would not take below 14 volt on an 18 volt battery.

It seems a lot of effort rather than just using the drill?

Also note when old Ni-cad batteries are completely discharged you can get crystal growth which will make the battery useless. On new batteries storing a 0 volts is a good idea but not with old ones.

Am i right in thinking that if i connected a 40watt bulb to an 18v battery i'd be drawing over 2amps?

If it were a 20 volt bulb then at full brilliance it would be approx 2 amps

But it it were a 230 volt bulb then the current would be far less. Measured current for 18 volts into a 40 watt 240 volt candle bulb was 52 milliamps which is 0.05 of an amp.

The 20 volt bulb ( approx 2 amps ) would empty the battery in about 3/4 of an hour.

The 240 volt bulb (0.05 amp ) would take around 35 hours.

BUT completely draining the battery may do more harm than good to the battery. To re-condition one normally takes the battery down to its end point voltage and then re-charge.

How fast would it discharge an 18v 1.7ah battery?

as a rough guide Time = Amphours divided by amps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back