Disconnected positive first. Dacia.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. New here so hope I've posted in right place.
I have a 2014 Dacia Sandero 1.5 Diesel.
The airbag light was staying on and someone suggested disconnecting the battery as this can reset it. So I disconnected the battery, but I only disconnected the positive. I then reconnected it, and now the car won't start. I turn the ignition on, and all powers up as normal, I then turn the key to start the engine. It turns over as normal but won't fire up. No coughs or splutters, no nothing.
I didn't cause and shorts when I disconnected the positive. The only sparks were the very small sparks between the positive terminal and the cable as I separated them, and again when I reconnected them.
Any help will be gratefully received. TIA.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
When taking the battery away from car, do "-" first. When adding battery to car, do "+" first. - battery, + battery, that's how you remember which goes first. While the negative lead is connected, if the positive lead touches the chassis anywhere, that would result in a short.

For some cars, manipulating the battery triggers the immobiliser. In that case leave the battery disconnected for longer then try again. Repeat this a few times if necessary. You can also try: disconnect for 20 minutes, connect for 20 minutes, try starting, then repeat as necessary

Have you tried locking/unlocking the car or turning the alarm on and off? Have you tried using the spare key?

Mottie, I've tried locking and unlocking. Unfortunately I only have one key!

Sponsored Links
I've tried all the advice but still it won't start. It turns over fine, but just won't fire up. I had to charge the battery because it had gone a bit flat with all the trying to start. I took it off to charge it so it was disconnected a good 2 hours, but still wouldn't start!

Read OBD code, or sign up for breakdown cover and then call them out to get you started, or tow to shop.

I've tried all the advice but still it won't start. It turns over fine, but just won't fire up. I had to charge the battery because it had gone a bit flat with all the trying to start. I took it off to charge it so it was disconnected a good 2 hours, but still wouldn't start!
Missed any leads from the terminals? Sometimes an extra fly lead, easily missed

We used to have an old Clio in work that would occasionally fail to start despite turning over strongly. Never could get to the bottom of it BUT by checking the fault codes (there were none) then pressing the button to clear the fault codes, it would start and be fine for 2-3 months. Might be worth a try if you know someone with a fault code reader. If not, buy a cheap one - they’re always handy and they can be bought for under £20 off of Amazon.

IMG_4989.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Back