Renault Megane Starting Problems & Air bag light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There, can anyone help.
My wifes 55reg Megane has developed an intermittent starting problem.
When you push the button it starts, coughs and splutters and then gives up. When you try it again it normally starts but on a cold morning it can take 3-4 attempts. Not long ago the emissions light was on and a friend (mechanic) told me he would reset this and everything should be fine. Could this be the problem?
Also there is a white plastic ring around the inside of the steering collum that had come loose and made a ticking noise when turning, he also tightened this up and when steering the noise had gone but it felt like something was going to snap. Now the drivers airbag light is on and eventhough the passenger side airbag has been turned off this does not show on the dashboard. I think that this is all down to my friend (mechanic) doing the work above but just wanted to know if someone can confirm and any advice to how I speak with him as I have known him since I was 5. Thanks, Phil

Sponsored Links
Hi There, can anyone help.
My wifes 55reg Megane has developed an intermittent starting problem.
When you push the button it starts, coughs and splutters and then gives up. When you try it again it normally starts but on a cold morning it can take 3-4 attempts. Not long ago the emissions light was on and a friend (mechanic) told me he would reset this and everything should be fine. Could this be the problem?
Also there is a white plastic ring around the inside of the steering collum that had come loose and made a ticking noise when turning, he also tightened this up and when steering the noise had gone but it felt like something was going to snap. Now the drivers airbag light is on and eventhough the passenger side airbag has been turned off this does not show on the dashboard. I think that this is all down to my friend (mechanic) doing the work above but just wanted to know if someone can confirm and any advice to how I speak with him as I have known him since I was 5. Thanks, Phil

Yes - You are fired!

Unfortunately reseting the engine management light and hoping a problem goes away is the common MO of a lot of 'mechinics' these days. Generally the lights come on for a reason, did he even read the codes before deleting them? Without know what DTCs the engine management had stored it's hard to offer any technical advice.

I would take it to someone who knows what they are doing. Particulay as airbags are involved.

Sponsored Links
Back