Disconnecting a pull cord

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've just changed a couple of bedroom lights and would like to remove the old pull cord too.

The two lights have separate switches on the wall, along with the pull switch in the picture.

What would be the best way to proceed?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

P091s3Zl.jpg

Sponsored Links
Are they ceiling lights and Is there a loft above, the best way maybe to remove the 2 core completely as it likely going to the light, then divert the 3 core to that light, Alternatively seal both wires off in an appropriate box in the loft

Edit
The blue and black wires are not NEUTRALS, the blue ones a strapper to the other 2 way switch, and the black is a switch line likely to the light.

Last edited:
Alternatively seal both wires off in an appropriate box in the loft.

Then come back on here and ask why it does not work.

The 2 core is the switch drop. The 3 core are the strippers to the other switch.
When you have sealed them off in a box and find it does not work connect the lone red (part of 3 core) to one of the other pairs. If the other switch now works upside down move the lone red to the other pair.

Sponsored Links
A pair is an English word meaning 2 of something. In this case a pair of wires, either the red and yellow pair in one terminal or the blue and black pair in another terminal.

Thanks for all of the above.

The pull cord just switches one of the lights, and the two wall switches control one light each.

I understand the instructions regarding connecting the lone red to one of the pairs, but what should I use to do this, and to encapsulate?

I have some 6A terminal strip, which I suppose I could use to seal the extraneous pair, but I don't think I can use it to join the red to the other pair.

The wires will be up in the loft space, so what is the best thing to encapsulate them in?

I understand the instructions regarding connecting the lone red to one of the pairs, but what should I use to do this
What's wrong with using the the terminal strip you have?

, and to encapsulate?
CHOCBOXB.JPG

Or you could get a maintenance free junction box, like a Wagobox system, or an Ashley J803.

I have some 6A terminal strip, which I suppose I could use to seal the extraneous pair, but I don't think I can use it to join the red to the other pair.
Why would you think that?

Thanks ban-all-sheds, much appreciated.

I wasn't sure that I could put two wires into one terminal like that. I've only ever used them to cap wires off temporarily.

If I understand correctly, I will put the lone red one side of the terminal and the pair to join at the other side, and then just attach the wires from the extraneous pair to their own terminals like this. Is that right?

KZpOyyrl.png

Or can the extraneous pair just be linked to a single terminal?

then just attach the wires from the extraneous pair to their own terminals like this. Is that right?

KZpOyyrl.png

Or can the extraneous pair just be linked to a single terminal?
Ask yourself the following questions.

1. Are the existing "extraneous pair" currently connected together, or isolated from each other?
  2. If I leave the pull switch alone, do the wall switches work as I want them to?
  3. If I change which wires are currently connected together should I expect everything to carry on working in the same way it currently does, or should I expect it to change?

A pair is an English word meaning 2 of something. In this case a pair of wires, either the red and yellow pair in one terminal or the blue and black pair in another terminal.
Why connect up the pairs at all?
The pullcord is going, so all you have to do is connect the reds together, the black to the yellow and ground the blue at both ends.

Ask yourself the following questions.
  1. Are the existing "extraneous pair" currently connected together, or isolated from each other?
  2. If I leave the pull switch alone, do the wall switches work as I want them to?
  3. If I change which wires are currently connected together should I expect everything to carry on working in the same way it currently does, or should I expect it to change?

OK. Makes sense. Thanks.

Why connect up the pairs at all?
The pullcord is going, so all you have to do is connect the reds together, the black to the yellow and ground the blue at both ends.

Thanks. If I do this instead, how do I "ground the blue at both ends"?

Speaking of grounding, whichever way I connector the wires up, what do I do with the earth wire? (I've attached another pic showing it in more detail)

lWTOxMOl.jpg

The recommended treatment for unused conductors is to sleeve them G/Y and connect them to the earth terminal or wire.

Connect the earth conductors & any unused conductors to each other using a spare connector.

all you have to do is connect the reds together, the black to the yellow and ground the blue at both ends.

The recommended treatment for unused conductors is to sleeve them G/Y and connect them to the earth terminal or wire.

Connect the earth conductors & any unused conductors to each other using a spare connector.

When you say "any unused conductors", does that include the black and yellow, or would it be just the blue?

There should be TWO earth wires; one in each cable.
They should be connected together.

So, if one of the wire from the other cable definitely an earth?

EDIT: OK, so I just unscrewed the fitting and realised that there are two wires, one from each cable, in the earth sleeve. (as I'm sure you all realised).

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back