Disconnecting a shaver socket

O

orlab

Living in renting accommodation. The shaver socket in the ensuite bedroom next to me, is making a loud buzzing noise into my room. I was informed the transmitter within the shaver socket maybe faulty. They cost 30-40 euro to replace?. However how would someone disconnect the shaver socket from the main fuse box (how would a person know what fuse it is in a circuit breaker box) or the transmitter within the shaver socket in a safe manner. Its a double plug socket 110V 240V

Sponsored Links
It's not your property and the land lord will keep your deposit if you play with something you shouldn't.

A transformer can buzz, more often it's the shaver face plate resonating against the wall surface.

Try tightening up the face plate screws (they sometimes work loose), or if that doesn't work loosen them off and apply a dab of mastic to the edge of the faceplate to create a cushion between the wall and plate.

If neither cure works then the transformer / shaver socket should be replaced via a Land lord supplied contractor or (as a minimum) via you doing the work and charging the Landlord for materials.

If you don't want to use the socket, a simple solution is:

1. Turn off the power
2. Remove shaver socket from wall
3. Remove the L&N wires from the terminals
4. Put the L&N wires into separate insulated terminal blocks
5. Replace shaver socket.
6. Switch power on.

It won't work any more, but it won't buzz either. Simple to reconnect it at a later date.

I generally wire them so that the transformer is on with the lights in the room, not ideal during daylight, but better than it sitting there buzzing the whole while.

Sponsored Links
I generally wire them so that the transformer is on with the lights in the room, not ideal during daylight, but better than it sitting there buzzing the whole while.

Thats OK if the socket is only used for an electric haver, but hopeless if you are planning to charge an electric toothbrush.

Weird! Personally speaking I expect to be able to shave or charge my toothbrush without needing to switch on lights in daytime.

I always fit a shaver socket which is switched by insertion of a suitable plug.(Used to be MKs but I stopped using them after a number of faceplates cracked when customers left a toothbrush charger plugged in. Ah well.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back