Disconnecting phone extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, please be gentle as I'm new here .....

The chap we bought our house off improvised (or so it looks like) an extension from his BT phone socket box to serve the first floor of the house. So, our main BT phone socket box has a wire coming out of a hole in the side of it which then goes up through the living room ceiling :rolleyes: . Hopefully you can see my picture so you can see what I mean.

I want to disconnect this extension wire as it's unsightly and we don't use it or need it.

So, can I do this safely myself or am I likely to electrocute myself if I open the socket box and fiddle around? I'll get a spark/ phone engineer in if necessary but would like to avoid the cost if at all possible.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Ok, all you need to do is unscrew the lower part of the BT socket, pull it out and disconnect the cable from the back. Then you can pull the cable out and remove it completely.

Refit the front and job done.

Phones only run on 48v DC so you will not electrocute yourself!

Thanks both...

question remains though whether a person who cannot be trusted to upload photos should be let loose on a phone box ... :oops:

Sponsored Links
Be aware that the connections inside might be the sort where wires are pushed down between metal blades, and that you might need a punchdown tool to sort them out.
Won't be a problem as it looks like the one and only cable connected so just pulls out of the IDC connector.

Thanks both...

question remains though whether a person who cannot be trusted to upload photos should be let loose on a phone box ... :oops:
Now that could be a whole different question!!!!

As I say - if you say so. Personally I haven't seen the guy's socket, so I have no idea how many conductors are in there.

View media item 82525
You don't want to be paying anyone to do this.

As said remove the lower cover.
If there are more than the 1 cable going upstairs then you need to be carefull in removing the wires and it maybe easier for a DIYer to cut them out rather than pull.

you can cut it where it enters the socket and push the end in with a small screwdriver. not the 'professional' method but will work.

you can cut it where it enters the socket and push the end in with a small screwdriver. not the 'professional' method but will work.
As long as you don't mind risking shorting out the line. Wouldn't do that myself.

By the way. If someone rings you while you are holding the wires, you will certainly feel the 70V ac, so caution is recommended.

As long as you don't mind risking shorting out the line. Wouldn't do that myself.

By the way. If someone rings you while you are holding the wires, you will certainly feel the 70V ac, so caution is recommended.

you'd be cutting them all the same length and pushing an insulated cable just 2 or 3mm into the socket, so the risk of leaving a short on is almost non existent imo. use normal insulated tools, current is very small.

Thanks everyone. Helpful stuff. It's only the one extension and so I will pull it out. We almost never get calls on the landline these days so think I'm safe as far as a surge goes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back