Discovery of large horizontal crack - pics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I need some help and opinions!

We’ve recently moved into our 1950’s bungalow which we’re hoping to convert and add bedrooms/bathroom in the loft space.

Before we undertake something bigger like that, we need to replace the existing windows. We noticed some cracking in the wall by the bedroom window and having stripped back the wallpaper and removing a wooden curtain rail support, we’ve discovered quite a sizeable crack - see pics attached.

There is fairly minor step-cracking on external wall lower down. A builder has fixed an old underground drainpipe near to this but whilst he did this he had a look at the footings and couldn’t see any evidence of movement in the foundations - he felt the step-cracking had happened over time and nothing major to worry about.

I’m trying not to jump to conclusions but I don’t know how bad this is/could be, who to start asking questions (builder, surveyor, engineer?!) and how expensive this is going to be to fix.

Any help would be appreciated!

D1337FC8-AD62-43DB-94BE-4FE5A9207B1F.jpeg
85CF091F-A727-4517-9347-8DD550DC50B3.jpeg

B82C94F9-44D5-4DD9-A59C-0DD4183C3E81.jpeg
FFABBA65-49A4-41AF-B9B2-2D0541ADE75F.jpeg

31B4F94E-B42B-43CF-9FA3-05E509C3F994.jpeg

Sponsored Links
I've repaired a few like that. Settlement but why? Drains. Trees. Known to be an area when ground is moving? Any cracks on outside walls?
Guess its sand and cement backing and that don't move and just comes away from bricks so will need taking off back to brick.
Chat with local building control as they may know about the area and any problems and get a surveyor to advise and spec the repair

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back