Disgraceful

In an earlier life and just once, I took a job via an agency, but on the strict understanding that I would only be employed via the agency then the company would either employ me direct, or I would be gone. The three months almost arrived and I reminded the manager I would be gone the following week, unless they offered me the job direct. They moved very quickly.

My partner took a job at a local school via an agency. The school were complaining about what the agency was costing them, so she suggested she work directly for them instead. She now works directly, on a permanent contract and on much better terms - she gets paid a salary year round, but does no work during the school holidays. Working for the agency, she would be working on other jobs during the school holidays, or not get paid. The only thing - she has to take her holidays during the school holiday times.

We have a cleaning company, (not an agency but a bona-fide company), in work who work similar contracts. No work for the majority during school holidays but the manager and supervisor work those dates at standard worker rates, thereby working for less but also still expected to do their managerial/supervisory paperwork. I've told them to contact their union or ask the education authority to employ them full time.

Sponsored Links
My wife is a NHS medical secretary and is often frustrated when an 'agency temp' is taken on and she is expected to train them up on the administration processes, only for the temp to walk out after just a few days.
Another is when the agency temp is in post and then turns round to the regular secretaries to say......"I'm only here to type....I don't answer phones" :evil::evil::evil::evil:

As you can imagine, morale amongst the full timers is not good.

As you can imagine, morale amongst the full timers is not good.
Unintended consequences. Sometimes the unintended benefits outstrips the forecasts.
Other times the consequential detriment has a far greater effect than the forecast benefits.

Isn’t that what’s supposed to happen? :rolleyes:
On the back of taxpayers money for providing what should be a publicly funded/owned service at a much lower cost?

I guess that doesn't ring a bell with anyone who is happy to 'swing the lead' ? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
My wife is a NHS medical secretary and is often frustrated when an 'agency temp' is taken on and she is expected to train them up on the administration processes, only for the temp to walk out after just a few days.
And the NHS takes up the training bill, not the agency!

No money for capital but there is for servicing costs. Its the idiotic rules that the Government sets.

No capital to build a new GP surgery - £2.5m - but we will pay £200k a year for a 10 year lease on a GP practice built by a private landlord.

This is all from the ministers and political input.

No money for capital but there is for servicing costs. Its the idiotic rules that the Government sets.

No capital to build a new GP surgery - £2.5m - but we will pay £200k a year for a 10 year lease on a GP practice built by a private landlord.

This is all from the ministers and political input.

Aren't GP surgeries private businesses?

On the back of taxpayers money for providing what should be a publicly funded/owned service at a much lower cost?
I suppose we're lucky having those private companies to pick where the NHS can’t provide then, aren’t we? Bit like my business - when it’s operating - I only get work from them because the education service can’t provide the service that I can. You don’t think they send kids to me just because I’m a pretty face, do you? ;)

This
For once I find myself agreeing with you. :eek:

The NHS would often take on agency staff to work alongside Mrs Mottie and her team in her transcribing department when a backlog built up. They were paid more than the regular employed workers, were bloody useless, had to keep asking how to do this, how to do that as well as not having the 'ear' to understand different consultants accents (one agency audio typist was actually partially deaf!) which does take time and in general they held up the regular team, not helped them. They've since stopped hiring all temps in that department (mainly due to having no backlog due to clinics being cancelled) but are now looking to take on regular staff as things are opening up again.
Doesn't tally with this...
So all these foreign doctors and NHS workers that come from abroad to work over here, who picks up their training bills?
It's all very well bringing in 'trained' foreign workers, but they have no experience of working in the UK and still have to be taught 'on the job' in the UK which takes up a lot of time/resources...

Plus EU certification is now not recognised in the UK and vice-versa...

And the wage limit is at the moment set too high for entry level nurses to come to the UK, plus there is also no job security...

In the meantime those who wish to train as nurses here have to pay the highest fees in the world as opposed to the bursaries they used to get...

No joined up thinking, except for the private profit margins!

I only get work from them because the education service can’t provide the service that I can. You don’t think they send kids to me just because I’m a pretty face, do you? ;)
And that is the problem...

If you are/were as good as you claim to be then you are a loss to 'in house' expertise - in your case apparently the education system...

So much is outsourced/privatised nowadays that public services are now essentially 'ghost' systems held hostage by private companies and highly overpaid 'consultants'...

We get less but pay more, and taxpayers money pours into private pockets!

Aren't GP surgeries private businesses?

GP are paying commercial rates on debt and leases which the NHS then ends up paying when it would be cheaper if the NHS in fact built the surgeries or funded them directly.

This is all from above - idiotic policies from ministers and Government.

GP are paying commercial rates on debt and leases which the NHS then ends up paying when it would be cheaper if the NHS in fact built the surgeries or funded them directly.

This is all from above - idiotic policies from ministers and Government.

Great for the Doctors though.(y)

Sponsored Links
Back