Dishwasher on ground floor - plumbing issue?

Yep, it's nearly ready for a wash anyway so after supper I'll run a hot wash. My thinking is: a stand pipe should be connected to the wall via those rings you can buy and then connected to the drain, which I think you could do by yourself or with a friendly neighbour's help. Is that right? It doesn't require any big plumbing kit?

Yep, that's about it - 'ring things' I think means saddles or brackets, to fix the pipe to the wall.

Sponsored Links
If you are looking to add an appliance standpipe then you need a standpipe kit, some pipe, a cutter etc. I wouldn't go to that level.

I wouldn't get it overly complicated, what you have there is much better than it was.

Looking at the DW drain hose there doesn't seem to be a join, so the machine must have come with that, or the plumber fitted a long drain hose to the machine itself. To shorten that you would have to get into the back on the machine and re-pipe, maybe a bit complicated too.

That's what I meant - brackets. Thanks. I would like to set up something more stable so I will try to get that done at the weekend. I would rather not start trimming the pipe so as long as I can keep it in the position it's in (the smell is better already - I will blast it through with bicarb tomorrow).

Sponsored Links
Great to hear you've done good. It might well be fine from now on with no more effort needed.

A U-clip for the drain hose is normally supplied with dishwashers and washing machines. One could be used, fixed up just under the worktop to raise the pipe up and then it'll fall down to drain more that now as intended. Random example of the clip I mean: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Plumbing-Domestic-Appliances-Dishwasher/dp/B09HZLB6JL
Just a screw through the hole at top into the wall (needing drill and wallplug) or a short wood screw into the cupboard side panel to hold it in place.

NB I really don't like the look of that white (two core?) flex behind the machine apparently with bare ends --- and just hope it was once a supply TO something... and not possible to be made live.

There is a clip of some sorts on the back of the dishwasher, but I didn't quite know what to do with it. I got some brackets at the weekend and my "handyman" (useful neighbour) is going to screw them in for me. I am pretty sure the flex behind the machine is defunct as I don't know what it could be attached to, but I will get him to check that too!

Thanks again everyone: you have been so helpful. I really appreciate it.

Hi again all - dishwashergate continues. My plumber came and shortened the tube considerably, but there is still a smell coming from the dishwasher although not as bad as it was. I clean it regularly with white vinegar and bicarb, and scatter bicarb around it to remove the smell. What more can I do?!

Hi again all - dishwashergate continues. My plumber came and shortened the tube considerably, but there is still a smell coming from the dishwasher although not as bad as it was. I clean it regularly with white vinegar and bicarb, and scatter bicarb around it to remove the smell. What more can I do?!
Pics of the current waste pipe arrangement may allow some comment on whether it is still the same potential back-feed from sink waste issue?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20230530_073613.jpg
    20230530_073613.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 20230530_073525.jpg
    20230530_073525.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 20230530_073610.jpg
    20230530_073610.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 20230530_073604.jpg
    20230530_073604.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 40
The only 2 dishwashers that I have experience of are both Whirlpools but both have a flapper type rubber non return valve just where the hose is taken off after the pump, they don't look any great shakes but have heard no compaints about any smells, used daily but are often off for 10/14 days while on holidays and still no complaints, pumping out arrangements similar to yoursbut Ihad to clear outthe corrugated hoses on both as they were almost completely choked with "powder" after 6/8 years.

Hello Themoo,

Your "plumber" has shortened the hose, but it still needs to be looped higher at the top of the cabinet. The way it is now means that dirty water from your sink can discharge into the hose and sit there getting stagnant. The hose looks too short now so you would have to extend it with an extension piece.

Regards,
Huggybear.

Oh for heaven's sake! Even when it was looped higher up I was getting the smell. I'm confused now. Has he done the wrong thing? Given that he sealed up a bath panel when it was still wet underneath I'm not surprised though.

Can I buy these non-return valves?

Hello Themoo,

You were probably still getting smells before because the hose was too long when it was looped up. You can buy extension hoses from places like Screwfix, Toolstation and other plumbing merchants. You may not need a non-return valve, but it may help.

Regards,
Huggybear.

But if I get an extension won't I just be making the hose longer again? Or was it too long in the first place? I'm sorry for being stupid, but I am not sure how making the pipe any longer will improve the situation unless I hook it up a bit higher but not as high as it was before.

Hello Themoo,

It was too long. It makes it easier to connect and install the machine if you have a bit of slack. If there are two people, you can use the current hose by getting someone to push the machine in while holding the looped over unconnected hose and then pull the hose down to the connection under the sink. Then connect it up.

Regards,
Huggybear.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back