Dishwasher poor wash performance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Looking for others experience when suffering poor wash performance please.

The dishwasher is getting on a bit now. I've repaired a couple of things over the years such as split hose underneath etc. Recently, it is barely washing the dishes, many items have needed to be hand washed or put on a second or third cycle. Now it is struggling even after multiple washes.

I am thinking that it's probably time for a new one but before I do that I just wanted to check here for your experiences first.

I have removed, cleaned and verified proper performance of the following to no avail:

1. Sump filters
2. Spray arms and associated captive hoses integral to the wash baskets
3. Water is being heated
4. Pump out function
5. Sufficient inlet supply
6. Also washed several cycles with white vinegar

There seems to be nothing wrong with it yet it performs poorly. Any ideas before I bin it off please?

Cheers!

Edit: Bought from Ikea, I think it is Whirlpool. I will update with the make and model if this info makes any difference.

Sponsored Links
Run it on one cycle using Dishwasher Cleaner on the Longest and Hottest programme.
Is the wash Tab / powder compartment door opening properly?

Run it on one cycle using Dishwasher Cleaner on the Longest and Hottest programme.
Is the wash Tab / powder compartment door opening properly?

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes tab drawer is working properly.

Never heard of dishwasher cleaner, suppose it is available amongst the wash tablets at the supermarket? Also suppose that it should be used when the dishwasher contains no dishes?

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes tab drawer is working properly.

Never heard of dishwasher cleaner, suppose it is available amongst the wash tablets at the supermarket? Also suppose that it should be used when the dishwasher contains no dishes?
Yes & Yes - it's a bottle that goes in the plate rack.

Sponsored Links
The only other thing is to set it going, and when you hear the water spraying inside, hoick the door open to see if 1 - both spray arms are rotating, and 2 - that a substantial amount of water is being pumped through.
The machine will stop as soon as the door is opened, but the arms should still continue rotating for a few seconds and the water should be pouring down from every interior surface.

If not, then it's an internal blockage or the pump is failing/failed. Both of which are new dishwasher time.

The only other thing is to set it going, and when you hear the water spraying inside, hoick the door open to see if 1 - both spray arms are rotating, and 2 - that a substantial amount of water is being pumped through.
The machine will stop as soon as the door is opened, but the arms should still continue rotating for a few seconds and the water should be pouring down from every interior surface.

If not, then it's an internal blockage or the pump is failing/failed. Both of which are new dishwasher time.
Thanks for that..... I've already pulled the door open to check this, and to be honest, wasn't able to verify that the spray rotors are spinning as there was too much water going everywhere.

Suppose that without this knowledge it's a case of trying the cleaner in it then ditching it if that doesn't work.

Even though you have checked the pump out function remove the drain hose and ensure perfectly clear before ditching it.
Also assume heating element is working?.

Even though you have checked the pump out function remove the drain hose and ensure perfectly clear before ditching it.
Also assume heating element is working?.
Hi. Thanks for that info. As it happens, I have ended up stripping this down to dispose of it after buying a replacement. No blockages anywhere in the machine. I didn't check the heating element but there was plenty of steam coming out of it when opening the door at the end of the wash. Maybe the pump was just on its last legs.

It's dead and gone now anyway. Thanks all for your contribution.

This can also be caused by the low level of water, check the water valve. Also, check if there is any leak in your dishwasher. One of my friends also has a whirlpool dishwasher and he had the same issues as you mentioned above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back