Dishwasher touching plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I’m installing an integrated dishwasher and the socket for the plug is directly behind where the dishwasher will sit. When flush with the other cupboards, the back of the dishwasher is touching the plug going into the socket. Is this a fire hazard? Is it ok for an appliance to be touching its plug? Can’t find anything on it online so hoping it’s ok but thought I’d ask here too. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
As long as the plug is away from the area on the dishwasher where the heating element is there should not be a problem. What make and model is the dishwasher and I'll have a look and see if I can tell where it is.

As long as the plug is away from the area on the dishwasher where the heating element is there should not be a problem. What make and model is the dishwasher and I'll have a look and see if I can tell where it is.
Thanks for that, it’s good to know. It’s a kenwood KID45b23 if that helps?

Is the socket flush or surface mounted? I would not want the back of the machine to touch the socket because of potential mechanical damage, but leave it proud of the machine.

Sponsored Links

Aren't they normally on the underside- I have no idea and am simply asking. I have only ever tried to repair one dishwasher- my own. Everything that I needed access to was on the underside. I eventually gave up. I have however happily fixed other white goods.

I was asked to look at a faulty dishwasher , pulled if out and found black insulation on rear had melted to plug , every time the dishwasher door was dropped it pulled plug half way out and when closed returned it.This constant movement had damaged socket which was 3 shades of brown .
So ideally you need a slight gap .

Alternative solutions - change the plug.
Some plugs are quite a bit slimmer than others; the slimmest I have is around 17mm.
Although I can't find dimensions, these from RS are pretty thin...
If you have a deep enough back box, a flush mounted socket can also give you a few more mil.
Or, fit an FCU and forget about the plug and socket altogether.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back