Dishwasher & washing machine switched FCU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to fit an integral dishwasher and integral washing machine in the kitchen. The sockets will be below work surfaces. One switched FCU is planned for where a double socket is already fitted - this is within reaching distance from the sink! (I've no idea why the socket is there - it is on the ring main and is going).
Is there a specified minimum distance between a switched FCU and sink? There isn't anywhere else to put it unless it goes on another wall.

Sponsored Links
it must be where it is unlikely to be splashed

the min distance recommended (sideways) from metal sink or drainer is only 300mm - many people prefer a bigger distance

if you are spurring down to a 13A socket that will have a fused plug in it, a 20A switch is better than an FCU (the ideal number of fuses per appliance is one). Or you couylsd use an FCU and a flex outlet but this will puzzle people when they want to remove the appliance and find no plug.

you shouldn't run two large appliabces from one socket, even a double.

new outlets in a kitchen is notifiable work.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. I will opt for the 20amp switches to fused sockets - one fuse only makes sense. There will be a double socket but it is for an extractor hood and gas ignition only. Washer & Dishwasher will have there own sockets. The switches will be 600 - 700mm distant sideways. Still close in real terms.
I am aware of the Part P requirements.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back