Dishwashers: When is it time to send them to the farm.....?

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
My Neff dishwasher has stopped heating water. Relay is ok, no dry joints so the heat pump seems to be the suspect.

The unit is 11 years old.
I've given it CPR on a number of occasions (not the most reliable unit I've ever had tbh) and i feel this is the final nail in its coffin.

A new pump is likely to cost me €100 (ebay + delivery+exchange+customs, blah blah

Now, €100 is a long way from €600 to replace it, but, it also needs new seals, the door is worn, and it goes into a coma every now and then.

I wish parts were more accessible and cheaper. A new door seal and heat pump is +£200 from Neff. Mad prices which stops many from repairing them.

Would you fix this?
11 years is not bad surely? (My last one lasted 8 years)

Sponsored Links
Although i like to avoid throwing things away, there comes a Return on investment - at 11 years old - what else is likely to go wrong - so is it worth chucking 200+ at it - if its likely to fail in near future
and it goes into a coma every now and then.
Which maybe another part failing , and actually die

on the otherhand -
when we moved, we have a very old Dishwasher , which was my mother-in-laws , Bosch and I had a new Bosch , which i fitted into my old kitchen purchased in 2008 and nothing like the quality

we refurbed this new kitchen in 2018 - and we looked at dishwashers to replace the mother-in-law one , and the cheaper ones £400-600 - seemed really poor quality ,when we reached about £1200 , we just made the old one fit

Sponsored Links
Our Hotpoint lasted just over 20 years. Like you, I’d done a few repairs over the years - dispenser tray, a couple of arms, filter etc and it also had an occasional leak from the door seal. When it started getting temperamental we cut our losses and bought another Hotpoint. Much better cleaning, quieter, uses less water and cheaper to run.

New heating element, check old one resistance at - 20 ohms.
There is a YT vid of some bod doing exactly this.

Apparently, you need to do an insulation test to properly check the unit. I don't have one so I'm snookered there!

There is a YT vid of some bod doing exactly this.

Apparently, you need to do an insulation test to properly check the unit. I don't have one so I'm snookered there!
A simple continuity test with a multimeter set to resistance will tell you if it is open circuit, no need for insulation tester in your case.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back