Dispute with builder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just trying to judge if what i feel is fair is indeed fair! ...

Builder has done some work, on clearing up the garden i notice that there is an off cut of 4x2 under a teak garden table with a pile of sawdust. On inspection there were/are 3 saw marks in it as it had been cut into as it appears they were using it as a cutting bench!

Now to me they sawed into it so they need to replace it, was it brand new, no but it was 2 seasons old and starting to look nicely weathered and oiled every season looked very nice. The builder has filled it and said its fine and you wont notice but there is a massive filler mark in an otherwise lovely table!

So am i being unfair wanting it replaced? i dont think so as they damaged it and so need to make that good. I still really cant believe they used it as a saw bench but i guess some people dont think too much sometimes.

thanks

Sponsored Links
They shouldn't have used it as a saw bench. Fair enough he has tried to mend it but if you are not happy then tell him you would like it replaced.

Had much the same happen to me some years ago. Was having a conservatory build by a local respected company who decided to use my new garden bench as a saw bench and put 3 deep cuts into the arm.
I called into the showroom the next morning and when asked if everything was ok I asked the boss why his men had tried to cut my bench in half. He was somewhat gobsmacked and immediately said he would replace it so no complaints from me.

If you are not happy with the repair you should politely ask for a replacement.

Sponsored Links
Why should he accept a repair?
It was a teak dining table not a saw bench.
If he wanted to dine off a saw bench he would have bought a B&D Workmate.
Get it replaced and make sure it matches with the chairs or demand a full new set. Some people have no respect for other peoples property.

you need to be happy
why not say you want a new table as its damaged then accept 50% as a compromise ??

do you have any pictures could the components be turned up side down??

Must admit those timber tables do make fantasic cutting benches, it's like God made them to the perfect height. :mrgreen:

LooPrEvil I take it you would be happy to have some idiot trash your dinner table or garden furniture with a circular saw.

would it be not unreasonable to expect posters to use their not inconsiderable intellect to, notwithstanding it`s proper usage .Not use pointless phrases :rolleyes: Leave it to Tom Jones - It`s not unusual :mrgreen: would it not have sounded unusual if he`d said " It`s usual"

Hi, I am a builder well actually my trade is carpentry. I carry two CARPENTERS STOOLS and dust sheets everywhere I go. Get a new one on his public liability insurance. Bet he's not got that either!!
Erol

Why should he accept a repair?
It was a teak dining table not a saw bench.
If he wanted to dine off a saw bench he would have bought a B&D Workmate.
Get it replaced and make sure it matches with the chairs or demand a full new set. Some people have no respect for other peoples property.

when i meant decent repair,then the slats are replaceable,so as long as the builder gets the correct shade of timber to complete the task.

i agree it is unexceptable for him/them to use your furniture as a saw horse.

but i have a feeling in law(if it was to go that far)then i would think a decent repair would suffice.

Sponsored Links
Back