Disputed work advice for my mum please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I used a builder for some repairs to my chimney he did a great job, so when my mum needed some work done I recommended him.

She had water ingress around a window due to poor lead work around a beam that goes across the top.

The builder completely wrapped the beam in lead. It was good lead work and very tidy, but my mum hated the look of it on the house and asked him to take it off.

Obviously, he wasn't thrilled. It sounds like my mum wasn't exactly clear on what she'd agreed to when he proposed it.

Anyway, just wondering what people thought was a fair resolution to this situation. He's made it right and put some sealant around the beam and knocked some money off, but I'm not sure how much.

thanks

Sponsored Links
You don't seem to describe the builder having done anything wrong.

Sorry not made myself clear. I think she's of the opinion that the approach was just not good, no matter how neat the work was it would never look right on the house and never going to look good and he shouldn't have suggested it. I don't know exactly what she signed off on, but whatever it was she wasn't expecting it to turn out like it did.

**edit: I should also make it clear she does intend to pay him, I was just trying to get a guide on what people thought was fair in this situation.

Last edited:
Could she explain to him what it is exactly that she doesn't like about the repair? It may be that he can possibly modify it somehow that she is happy with the result. On the other hand, if what he has done is the correct way to do it, and doing it differently can't be guaranteed to work then she may have to accept the way he has done it. Also, if he does modify it he may not guarantee it to be totally effective and may also charge for the additional work.

Sponsored Links
you have a misunderstanding here the man has done a good to excellent job with an agreed value worth 100% he has now been asked to adapt to a different design so now 130% off value for the same money
he now gives a say 20% refund as he is now so disheartened and demoralized that his excellent work is not valued
his time and effort has now been devalued to work for half his fair and reasonable amount including extra time and materials involved ??
i suggest he has swallowed more than enough loss to keep his full integrity and pride that an apology from your mum and a token gesture off spirit or beer costing perhaps 12-20 pounds is a good comprise no where near enough to cover his efforts but shows a hand out for a compromise that i am sure will make him feel at least a bit more valued

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back