Diversity on cookers and cable selection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of a kitchen refurb to make appliances more convenient for my disabled wife, I am having two cookers fitted side by side at a relatively low level. Their maximum ratings are 3.6kW & 3.45kW respectively. My questions are these:
1) can I supply them both from a single cooker switch?
2) in calculating diversity, do I apply it to each unit separately, or to the combined 7.05kW?
3) I propose to specify a supply cable of 6mm protected by a 32A or 40A mcb.
4) In order to accomodate this, I belive I will need a 50A rated switch, with terminals big enough to accept this cable size. The distance to the Consumer Unit is about 15 meters,laid over the insulation in the loft.
I would welcome any comments or observations on this proposal.

Sponsored Links
1) Yes.
2) Combined - but 7.05kW is only 29.375A @ 240V; cooker circuits are usually 32A anyway.
3) Yes. 6mm² and 32A is usual.
4) Yes. 45A or 50A switch is normal.

Looks fine. 4mm² cable would suffice but go with 6mm².

The wrinke is manufacturers instructions. Does the manufacturer of the items say they are suitable for connecting to a 32A circuit or do they specify a lower-value protective device?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back