Diverter valve—which way is which?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
[Worcester Heatslave 12/14 oil fueled combi]

Yesterday we had no CH but HW, and a constant motor-whirring type noise, which having searched and read up on would appear to indicate a problem with the diverter valve/actuator. I've lifted off the actuator (V4044F) and the valve seems to turn ok—just about 1/8 of a turn, but I think that's right, yeah?

Being a Saturday, bank-holiday weekend, afternoon I've put it all back together till merchants are open again, but now I seem to have CH and no HW. I'm guessing that I've flipped the diverter the 'wrong' way (I can live without CH for now).

Can anyone tell me which direction the valve should be turned to 'set' the boiler to give me just HW till fixed? Yes, I know I could just try each way, but it's oh so much lazier to ask you knowledgeable folk!

Thanks,

- Pete

Sponsored Links
See which position its in now

and

move it to the other one!

Tony

Thanks Guys,

Turning the valve towards Port A does indeed give me hot water again.

But ... now I'm curious. Would someone mind explaining what the actuator is meant to do, and when it's meant to do it. (Seeing it struggle, yet do nothing while operating the various CH and HW options whilst it's disconnected isn't really telling me much). I found this, but just got myself confused with the energized/de-energized/port A/port B talk, and how that actually equates to the HW and CH. Oh, and as when searching for answers I was frustrated by the lack of 'real-world' example images, I thought I'd upload one to explain what I've got to play with. Perhaps it'll be useful to someone else in future. :)

Is the intended function of the thing as simple as HW = turn clockwise, CH = turn anti-clockwise, BOTH = stop somewhere in the middle?

I'm also not sure if I need a whole new powerhead or just a motor, but I guess if I take the whole thing into a heating place they'll sort me out. Leaving the valve in this 'Port A position', and the CH all switched off, for the time being shouldn't mess anything up between now and then, should it?

Questions, questions, questions! Any answers much appreciated!

- Pete

Sponsored Links
Hmmn, I'm still not so sure I'm understanding what's going on here.

Signs and symptoms:

• * With the valve turned clockwise (towards A), to the position I thought would give normal hot water, the hot water only seems to last for a few minutes before going lukewarm.
    * The boiler is firing when the HW is run, and for sometime afterwards if ran for say, a shower.
    * Even with the CH side of things switched off (at the timer) there seems to be some warmth getting to the radiators when HW is run).

I'm not sure if any of this leads to any kind of conclusion, but would welcome thoughts.

Hi Pete,
As your boiler is a combi I would think that the Honeywell valve you have does not have a mid position (heat & water) position, The reason you are getting lukewarm water is probably because the valve is allowing some of the hot water to circulate around the heating circuit when you are demanding hot water (combi’s usually turn off the heating when a hot tap is turned on). Check the actuator is operating, turn off the power supply to the boiler, the lever on the side of the actuator should offer some resistance when you move it, the springs will then return the valve to the closed position when you let go of the lever. With the power back on and the valve open there will be no resistance on the lever.
I am not sure if the valve opens for heating or hot water?
Hope this helps, Martin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back