Dividing up a garage - do I need to get the Council involved

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning on dividing a detached garage using a stud wall, so that most of it will be kept as a garage (with garage doors) and the end part will be an occasional office. I'll also be putting up plasterboard on the rafters throughout, to keep heat in and spiders off my head. There'll be an interior door between the two parts.

Am I likely to need to comply with regs for this? I'm getting mixed reports because it's "not really change of use" but does involve walls.

Sponsored Links
Yes this would need building regulation approval, and if there are planning conditions (relatively new build) then you may need planning approval too,

In reality, most people just do it.

Unauthorised work of this type would get picked up on a sale survey. Not the end of the world, but it can cause inconvenience to the sale or cause numpty buyers to pull out.

The best advice is to build it to building regs standards even if you don't bother applying

"Change of use" does not come into it. Avoid anyone who even says this in a sentence.

I'm changing my name to Lazarus.

You do believe don't you? Miracles do happen :p

Sponsored Links
Thanks - is it the roof as well as the wall that'll need to comply? It's an o!d house and garage so planning shouldn't be an issue.

We've only just moved in to the house and had a bit of a tizzy about work in our last place that we hadn't realised we needed approval for, so we're keen to do everything by the book now (well, I'd be inclined to just do it :) )

You need to comply with anything that's relevant to the use. You are creating a habitable room, and the garage is still a garage even if you can't fit a car in it.

Damp prevention to floors and walls, insulation to floors walls and ceilings, means of escape, fire precautions and electrics come to mind.

Damn do-gooders, trying to stop me causing myself harm...

Thanks very much for the advice. In general terms, would you think doing this so it'd comply would be beyond a bumbling amateur who's never done something like this before?

No, its straight forward.

There should be lots of threads here or in the building section on garage conversions. Just apply the principles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back