Diy Boiler Servicing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler, a Glow-worm Space Saver 50, has the following symptoms, Black fumes from the flue, Casing getting too hot, flame burning yellow and poor efficiency. This has been getting worse for a few weeks, I have now stopped using it. I hope it needs just a service or at least a good clean out, this has not been done for about 10 years. Could anyone help, is this feasible as a DIY job?

Sponsored Links
Not really a DIY job, though cleaning soot might seem like one you need to be able to spot all sorts of faults which are easily missed. Get a service engineer in.

i would say NO! :)

gas (and carbon monoxide) can kill my friend....get a corgi regd person to come and service it. if that is all it needs... a good clean and balance then itll be around £30.

im sure youd agree it aint worth risking your life over £30 :)

Sponsored Links
um somerset!

we have paid £30 ( afew years ago) and more recently £35 for our annual boiler "service" consisting of a clean up inside and balancing the gas thingys.

this hasnt required any parts so is purley for labour of cleaning/checking and balancing.

or have we been ripped off and actually been paying for nothing?

surely £35 ph is a reasonable rate for a corgi person?

£30 - £60 but to do brendens it will probably cost that much in worn out brushes!

I can't believe this is a serious post... If it is
PLEASE TURN THE THING OFF AND DO NOT USE IT UNTIL YOU HAVE HAD A CORGI REGISTERED ENGINEER LOOK AT IT....
Carbon Monoxide is a product of INCOMPLETE combustion and the signs are soot and yellow staining (To name but a couple).. As little as 0.4 % can kill you within minutes...
Please do NOT try to rectify the faults yourself.

£35 might get you a quick and simple service out in the sticks but I doubt anyone would want to deal with a mess like yours for that little! It's a horrible job. It all depends, but the soot can go everywhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back