DIY car Wheel alignment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can fix my own car on most things and save the money, But after repairs I have had to pay for the front wheel tracking 3 times this year. Please please can someone tell how I can check the tracking my self. its so easy to adjust and there must be a DIY way, there usually is for most things. I had a look at laser gauges on ebay but even second hand they are still expensive. Even if it is quite a mess about I really want to do it myself, If you know how please pot it for me :!:

Sponsored Links
Thanks, Ive looked at these I just don't see how these can be accurate to a fraction of a degree as the settings in my manual show. theres usually an old fashoined way that works a treat but I can't find anything on the net other than tieing stings down the side of the car, does any body know how this is done and is it accurate, thanks

Can you fill in the blanks please. What type of car, what repairs and why three times?

Sponsored Links
Yep sorry. Ive got a mark 2 mondeo, fitted a lower arm, then got tracked up. next month fail test on split rubber on track rod end, replaced then tracked up again, then just had clutch done, dropped subframe so had to get tracked up again.

Believe this or not, it does work....
Purchase a telescopic aluminium clothes prop from Wilkinsons, and dispose of the plastic ends.
Slacken off the track rod end securing nuts, back them off exactly one turn so you can set them to the existing setting if it goes pear shaped.
From under the car, set the front inner rims parallel (measuring at 3 and 9 oclock) using the telescopic prop.
If your car is awkward you may need to bend both ends of the prop.
Using the toe in measurement, reduce the telescope to this new, shorter length.
Find out what the toe in measurement is for your car.
Lock the steering wheel in the straight ahead position.
Holding the prop at the front of the rims inner, (3 oclock nearside, 9 oclock offside) adjust each track rod by an equal amount (obviously a helper needed here) until the rims contact the prop.
Tighten the track rod end securing nuts.
Double check after swinging the steering wheel a bit.
Corny? Maybe - but you did ask... :)
Why do you need your tracking set 3 times a year?
John :)

I don't need it set 3 times a year, its just Ive had to have it done 3 times this year already, cos of repair, a lower arm then MOT fail split rubber on trackrod then clutch where sub had to be dropped, only had to do its once last year. This method sounds good to me, sounds more accurate than driving over a twisty plate as you are checking it static and where it is meant to be measured, not at the tyre tread like with the gunsons twist plate. I was thinking of making a big caliper to use on the outside of the wheel rims but I reckon i could make a couple of arms to go up from the end of the telescopic ploes poles to make it easier to locate at 3 & 9 oclock especially at the back side, i was hoping someone had come up with a clever trick to make it dead simple

Thats how we did it when the world was young - I don't know if your Mondeo will be easy or difficult.
Personally I get mine set up by Laser alignment when all repairs are done....its by far the best way to do it - so long as the gear isn't being used by a chimpanzee. I've seen so many cars made a right ****** by people who don't know what they are doing.

And why do you feel the need to do it again?
Burnerman's way is the way to do it but it can be fiddly, as it's not always possible to run anything from one wheel to another because, usually there's an obstruction.
Keep a close watch on your front tyres, they'll soon tell you if you need to make an adjustment.

I hope I dont need it doing again in a hurry, but I suspect that the last time it was not done properly, The sterring wheel is a bit to one side and when I accelerate it feels a bit drifty, sort of changes direction a bit, but not what you would describe as pulling to one side , just drifty. I want to be able to check it myself as I would save me money making my own adjustments in the future and if I've paid for it doing at least I could check it was set properly. I may be wanting a bit too much, Thanks for the advise

I really like the look of this trackace gage. It is definately not available yet but there is a manual on the website and i can't see why it would not work, Plus if i got it right how it works i reckon i can make one myself unless i'm missing something. Take a look how hard can it be to make something to work like this www.trackace.co.uk

Believe this or not, it does work....
Purchase a telescopic aluminium clothes prop from Wilkinsons, and dispose of the plastic ends.
Slacken off the track rod end securing nuts, back them off exactly one turn so you can set them to the existing setting if it goes pear shaped.
From under the car, set the front inner rims parallel (measuring at 3 and 9 oclock) using the telescopic prop.
If your car is awkward you may need to bend both ends of the prop.
Using the toe in measurement, reduce the telescope to this new, shorter length.
Find out what the toe in measurement is for your car.
Lock the steering wheel in the straight ahead position.
Holding the prop at the front of the rims inner, (3 oclock nearside, 9 oclock offside) adjust each track rod by an equal amount (obviously a helper needed here) until the rims contact the prop.
Tighten the track rod end securing nuts.
Double check after swinging the steering wheel a bit.
Corny? Maybe - but you did ask... :)
Why do you need your tracking set 3 times a year?

In my day we used to make a one with a piece of tube 5/16 inner bore and a piece of 1/4 bar with a point on the end slid into the tube and a locking screw through the tube to lock the bar in place at the setting.
Called a trammel

I tried to make a Trackace last year, its harder than it looks if you want to go off the rims, made one that rested on tyres but was worried about the accuracy. Needed tracking for first time this year, MOT failure (ball joint), googled "trackace" and it's now available, looked on ebay and their is also a Gunson Trakrite Laser version out. Ended up buying direct from Trackace for the next day delivery £85. It is exactly what I needed, I get tracking bang on fast. It is very easy to use and going off the rims is better. Seemed fiddly at first, very sensative but you soon realise it is sensative because it is very accurate. Gets used a lot by mates now, they say the same, few goes to get used to it then it's great, I definately recommend it if you can adjust you own tracking, which is pretty simple, especially if it will be used on several cars, mates, family n that.

Sponsored Links
Back