DIY car Wheel alignment

I track mine with a length of length of electrical conduit tube and a length of threaded rod, any metal tube and studding will do. I can't get to the rims on my XMs so I test from the tyres, providing you do it at the same height front and rear you shouldn't have a problem. I adjust the length so that it just touches the tyres at the front then transfer it to the back and look at the gap - or lack of it.

I have been doing mine like this for many years and my front tyres wear evenly and last about 30k - but I do drive gently.

Peter

Sponsored Links
I can fix my own car on most things and save the money, But after repairs I have had to pay for the front wheel tracking 3 times this year. Please please can someone tell how I can check the tracking my self. its so easy to adjust and there must be a DIY way, there usually is for most things. I had a look at laser gauges on ebay but even second hand they are still expensive. Even if it is quite a mess about I really want to do it myself, If you know how please pot it for me :!:

As other have said, the easiest way is to use some sort of "stick" between the inside edges of the wheels and subtract the difference, then work out the angle change. The problem with this is that you can't always get a decent straight line across under the car. As you get lower down the rim, you loose accuracy because you're looking for a difference in distance between two points closer together than they would be at wheel centre height. Obviously, you can't jack the car up because if it's not at the correct ride height, you won't necessarily get a true indication of the toe setting in any case!

A method I have used for setting up a racing car is very time-consuming, and limited in accuracy, but it does work.

Set the car up at the correct ride height (fuel load, driver etc) on as level a surface as you can (correct tyre pressures etc). Make sure the car has been rolled forwards to its resting place so that the rubber suspension bushes have taken up their correct "set".

Run a length of cotton down each side of the car, paralell to the centreline of the car AND to each other. This takes absolutely ages to do properly!!! I use 4 axle stands - one at each corner of the car. I have two box sections drilled to accept the cotton in exactly the same place (so I know the two bits of cotton are paralell to each other). I rest one on a pair of axle stands just ahead of the car, and another on a pair just behind it.

Remove the wheel trims (or plastic centre if they're alloys) and measure from the cotton to the centre of each hub. Adjust the two lines side-to side until the distances are the same. NOTE that there's no reason why all shoudl be the same (in fact they are usuall NOT the same), the only stipulation is that the distance from the right hand rear wheel to the right adn bit of cotton shoudl be the same as that from the left hand wheel to the left hand bit of cotton. The same goes for the front (and again, it needn't be the same as the rear on each side, just the same as the front on the otehr side). You now have two paralell lines, each of which is also paralell to the centreline of the car.

Finally, you need to VERY CAREFULLY measure from the cotton to the wheel rim at the leading edge of each wheel, and at the trailing edge of each wheel. The difference in each pair, over the diameter of the wheel at the point where the measurements were taken will show you which way the wheel is pointing.

It takes absolutely AGES (and forget it altogether if its a windy day)! The nice thing is that you can check rear toe as well using this system. You need to be able to take the measurements to less than 0.5mm accuracy (otherwise it's simply not worth doing)! Obviously, when you disturb the car to make the adjustment, you have to start all over again!

(Personally, I think I'll be cashing out for some of those cheap laser gauges though)!

I had another go with strings just before I got the Trackace, I prefered it because with sticks I had to go off the tyres on my Mondeo and sticks didn't stand a chance on my eldests lowered Corsa. I reckon I got strings well sussed and quite accurate but as you say it takes ages setting up again n again after trial and error adjustments. I'd had my suspension apart and was a long way off. My lad wanted me to just check his when mine was done and I just couldn't be bothered again, kids did let the dog out twice to ruin my strings though, Any way got the Trackace and tweeked my Mondeo to perfection, does the lowerd Corsa and the wifes 206 straight off the rims. My mates done his Pajero and his Tranny and it would work on bigger still. I can't fault the speed, I can nip out on a Sunday aft n check a mates tracking in minutes, earned me plenty of drinks. I can now set way off tracking in 30mins with 3 or 4 adjustment and a couple of road tests included. Has anyone else got one and do you agree.

No, haven't got one, but will shortly be writing my annual letter to Fr. Christmas!

Sponsored Links
I do it with two old flourescent lamp tubes - these are lightweight and dead straight. Place a couple of axle stands in front of the car and then hold the tube to the outside of the wheel with bungy cords. The tubes should point forward of the car and rest on the axle stands. Check that the tube is not sitting on any raised lettering on the tyre and that the gap between tube and wheel rim is the same front and back. Tubes should be level and at half wheel height. You can now carefully measure the distance between the tubes in front of the car in two places (one wheel rim diameter apart) to determine the toe-in/out. The latter step is best done with two people.

Do you need an inspection pit to do tracking? Think i'd like to do it too since local garage messed it up. Their excuse for the new shoulder wear since they did it was i've been going round too many roundabouts .. Another garage fixed it.

It certainly makes it easier if you can get the wheels in the air with the weight of the car on them. I have an apology for a ramp which consists of two lengths of fairly hefty timber supported by a wall at one end, which I can drive on to as we are on quite a steep slope, the other ends are supported by two oil drums, its just the right height to work on the brakes etc and I can sit on a stool to work underneath.
I have replaced the timbers since I took that photo :eek:

Peter

Would car ramps be ok ?

I've got outside tread wear but only on the passenger side. Would that be fixable with re-aligning?

I've also seen 4 wheel alignment advertised. Is it worth doing and can that be done diy?

On something so critical as steering, I would never skimp, have it set up by someone with laser tracking equipment.

Wotan

Will look into the equipment and do it myself. I'm tired of pillocks taking my money at the garage getting it wrong and bullsh@ting me

I don't trust a garage to do it, I have seen to many misaligned wheels. The equipment is good but very often the operator isn't.

Peter

Yep i find the same Peter. is a shame they won't rent their garage out for 15 minutes for people to the job properly. they have some very imaginative excuses lol, entertaining if they weren't so expensive.

+1. I've seen state-of-the-art laser alignment equipment used by grease monkeys who really shouldn't be in the job. There's absolutely no point in having equipment that wil lmeasure to the fraction of a millimetre when, even from the waiting room, you can see that the muppet hasn't got the gauge properly touching the wheel!

Conversely, I've seen the old optical "Dunlop" mirror-and-tube gauges used to set up racing cars with no problems whatsoever. It's really just down to the skill and care of the operative.

I think I'm going to try and get one of those Trackace jobbies (though I see here that they've whacked up the price by £15 from when I last looked, and are now offering a £15 "Christmas discount"!

http://www.trackacestore.com/

Maybe I'll go for the Machine Mart ones....

Can you get the older optic type still? Is a fair amount but friends will be interested in chipping in i reckon

having looked at the product i don't think it can be that acurate. a loose fitting mirror balanced against your car wheel and a free standing lazer thingy? you would be better off finding a place that you can trust and having it done profesionally. i agree it seems like a nice boys toy, but in my opinion there is to much room for human error. i expect to see it for sale by JML shortly for about £25.00! sorry to burst anyones bubble but that is my opinion.

Sponsored Links
Back