Tracking and Steering Wheel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had 2 new front tyres fitted to my car, A Nissan Almera Sport. I also had the tracking checked, and was told it was out, so I had it adjusted. Now when I am driving stright, my steering wheen is rotated to the left, and the car has a tendancy to wander a little to the left also. I took it back, and they readjusted the tracking??? It still has the steering wheel to the left when I am going stight. Is it difficult to cure this or it is just ATS people appear not to be able to do this, or not bothered. I have thought of taking it to Nissan to be sorted and charging the bill to ATS. Has anybody any suggestions.

Rgrds

Chris

Sponsored Links
This is often caused by the tracking being set from one track rod instead of them both.

On most cars these days the steering wheel is in a fixed position on the column.

To do the job properly they should undo both track rods, align the steering wheel to centre then adjust both track rods to suit.

I think you may have problems getting paid if you go elsewhere and give ATS the bill, you have to give them first chance to put it right. Are there any other ATS depot's in your area? If there are I would go there and ask for their opinion( don't mention the first ATS at this stage) Let them put it right then produce your bill and speak to the manager about it.

Keep an eye on your tyres for a month or so for uneven wear as well.

If you do go to Nissan ask for a written report this will help your case with ATS.

D&J absolutely right. Sounds like very poor workmanship.
I wonder, in the case of D&J's call on this, if the 'non-adjusted' track rod end has a seized thread, or if the lock nut has rounded corners ? I hope it was just negligent workmanship.... Easier to put right.

A little aside, my Nissan has been driven just about totally by me, from new .. 60K miles.
Being an engineer I happen to have an accurate depth gauge .... front tyres, although only get 18K or so milage, the tyres are wearing almost exactly equally, both sides across the tread area same as the rears.
I do not 'bump' kerbs, sometimes have to drive over at low speed, but aim to approach as near to 90° as poss.
Serviced at main dealer ... tracking not adjusted yet, is noted as 'checked' and ok.

P

Interesting to note that. I had similar problems with wheel balancing and tracking at Motorway Tyres. Took the car in as it was tracking to the left and a wheel shudder at 70 mph. Got it back and it was almost the same.

Returned to workshop, watched them re-balance everything and reset and this time all was OK. Why didn't they get it right first time round? Not enough care?

Sponsored Links
I never trust these tyre places. On one occasion I had two fronts changed and asked for the tracking to be checked. They balanced and fitted the tyres, but said I had to take the car to their other branch for tracking cos their kit was bust. The other guys proceeded to take the wheels off and re-balance them. When I said they had just been done, they told me that the other guys abuse the equipment so none of it works properly!

I can remember years ago, my mum took her car into one of the main tyre + exhaust places for 2 new back tyres.

Usual trick when they jacked up the car, Excuse me madam your back shockers are leaking. Do I need new ones? she asked, yes they are dangerous. OK put them on she said.

1/2hour later fitter comes in and says all done, will do you the bill. Hold on she says I have the guarantee for the shockers in my glove box, you fitted them about 9 months ago.

If looks could kill!

Classic!

I was recommended a garage by a mate of mine when I was having problems with my rear brakes. Basically I had adjusted the rear handbrake 6 months ago under the supervision of my ex's dad, a mechanic. Anyway, the wheel he did was fine but the one I did had started to produce a slight judder at the pedal.

So, I took it along, explained the situation and asked them to replace the rear brake pads. They rang me up at work to say "Are you sure you want the pads replaced, they look in great condition to us. We could just readjust the current ones for you."

Now in this case it was just one of the signs they were a good garage. They weren't going to do work unless it needed doing, even though I had asked them! As it happens, I asked them to replace them anyway as I figured that the misalignment had probably made the pads less than flat anyway so for the sake of £35...

Picked the car up, it felt like a different machine. The first straight I got to, I tried an emergency stop. I didn't know my car could stop so quickly! The balance of the brakes is now perfect both left to right and back to front. The pedal feel is vastly improved and for a few days I was driving round and severely annoying tailgaters coming up to roundabouts etc. because they were having a hard time not shunting me! In fact, it was possibly dangerous as I found myself whizzing up to roundabouts and traffic lights whereas with dodgy brakes I would be gentle and have respect for Newton. :evil: :evil:

Thanks all for your comments

I have taken it to Nissan this morning, who test drove it. They didnt say anything in particular, but look say everything. They say the tracking is still not right, as its still pulling to the left, and the wheel is nowhere near where it should be. I cant understand why the tracking, from never having been looked at, and the car driving perfectly stright, to being out every time its checked. As you have said, sounds very much like shoddy workmanship. I am going to write to ATS head office, to voice my complaints, dont really wish to take back to ATS, as dont trust them now!!. I will request the money back I paid ATS to sort the tracking, and foot the Nissan bill, as I dont think they would pay for this, unless I start mentioning trading standards :evil:

Rgrds

Chris

Chris.... the problem is they will say it was OK when they checked it and try to baffle you about equipment and training.

They will also say you must of hit a pot hole or kerb or similar on the way home.

They will then offer to have a look fOC as a goodwill gesture, because we "value your custom".

Their "customer service department" (sic) are 100% expert in these problems. They have heard them all, many times.

Sorry to sound grim, but I would find a small independant, who will care, value your custom, treat you as a person and not a banknote and might even be cheaper too.

It will be interesting to see how you go on.

Thanks I will let you know how I get on.

Rgrds

Chris

PS. I also have resigned myself to paying Nissan £40-45, but at least I know it will be done right

I have a very similar story: they must think we're all stupid....I had my shocks looked at (Monty) at a place where the employees never keep their feet on the ground.

I had just bought it off a bloke who used to tow a 'van. They checked and said "Come and have a look and we'll show you the problem". I went into the service bay and they showed me gunk dripping down the piston.

Ok, I said, fix it. When the bill came in, I quietly told them to replace my old shocks or I would call the old bill.

The reason? Oh, yes....they were gas shocks!

B*STARDS!

I also had my tracking adjusted (at another "rapido attachment" outfit) and when I got in, the wheel was not central. Their solution? To refit the wheel straight!!

Mine? To withold payment and make a loud call to HO...

Guess I am not far out then, I always use the same place for my tyres, they are very competetive and give price over phone, I slip the fitter a quid if I like the way he works ... no problems down the years.

Main dealer does the rest, very good since '89 ! Been worth £200 or so a year. ... peace of mind etc.
P

If you have any work done by tyre places watch them do the balancing, tracking etc.
I had a row with a very large tyre chain who had billed me for tracking- their excuse was that the computer automatically aded tracking to the bill assuming it was to be done, and they would then delete it if it hadn't been done. unless they forgot of course.
And yes it is not uncommon to have the adjustment done on one track-rod only, if they can get away with it. This then gives different steering geometry on left and right hand bends.
One of our local small tyre suppliers took 20 minutes to loosen the trackrod nuts on our Toyota Spacecruiser. At 140,000 miles it looked as if they had never been shifted since new.
Incidently have you been told by a tyre supplier that the newest tyres should be at the back, on front wheel drive cars. Better to have the accident head-on rather than spin and hit something backwards - or so I am lead to believe.

Definitely not. You want the better tyres at the front. They do the majority of the braking, the rear brakes are pretty incidental on cars. This is why it is quite common to have rear drums and front discs. In fact most cars with rear discs don't need the increased braking power, they are just a marketing ploy: "look at this Focus Zetec! Must be a quick car, it has discs on the back. LOOK! DISCS!"

When you brake, you get weight transfer to the front wheels. Thus you want best grip at the front, as these wheels do the majority of the braking. You can demonstrate this by braking hard, the nose dives.

If you increase the braking to the rear wheels artificially (by applying the handbrake) you will find yourself FAR more likely to spin! This shows what would happen if your rear grip (and thus braking efficiency) was significantly greater at the back than at the front.

On a motorbike you have separate control over the front and rear brakes. Motorbike instructors teach you to brake with the front wheel a fraction of a second before the rear wheel, due to the weight transfer. If you brake rear wheel first (as some bikers were taught to years ago) on a modern bike, there is a strong likelihood of the rear wheel locking when you then apply the front brake.

EDIT: Also, if you have good tyres at the front, you are more likely to be able to steer around an obstacle whilst braking (with ABS, or not if you have good skills). The front wheels need maximum grip. Rear wheels just follow you about and stop the back bumper grinding on the road.

Sponsored Links
Back