DIY chimney cap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wanting to cap my unused chimneys.

I need 3, coming in about £30 each that seems like a massive mark-up for what is basically a glorified biscuit tin lid!
Has anyone come up with a DIY alternative?

Terracotta plant trays? (or indeed a painted biscuit tin lid?)

Sponsored Links
OP,
Are you referring to three flue terminals in one stack or three chimney stacks?

3 pots.
I was thinking something like zinc sheet and a long worm drive strap.

Sponsored Links
OP,
Presumably you are abandoning the three flues, and three fireplaces in the house below?
There are eg "pepper pot"ventilation cowls available that only need to be dropped into the flue pots. However new ones are £50 - £60 but plenty of seconds are often available in reclaimer's yards.
Whatever, I wouldn't attempt to codge something together - it could be dangerous.
Buy a cheap purpose made cowl.

I made my own out of stainless steel mixing bowls held with stand off stainless steel strips held on to to pot with a big jubilee clip to keep air flow

I need 3, coming in about £30 each that seems like a massive mark-up for what is basically a glorified biscuit tin lid!
Has anyone come up with a DIY alternative?

Terracotta plant trays? (or indeed a painted biscuit tin lid?)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I used some old alloy sheet that was used behind a gas fire/chimney opening. Made diameter 80mm bigger than pot, cut 40mm pleats around the edges, bent down to make a skirt, dropped on pot then tapped skirt around bulbous top of pot to secure against wind. That was during lockdown and its still up there.

My mate Dodgy Dave does sent me this.
£4.50 all in, and choice of design.

He'll charge £500 for putting the vents in though. :cautious:

1000035979.jpg

I need 3, coming in about £30 each
Bargain.
If you can replicate their primary function I.e. keep the weather and the birds out, plus allowing airflow, AND something that's not going to rust away or blow away, fill your boots.
I'd be minded to make sure it was done once and done properly, regardless.

The metal ones will last 10 to 15 years. Terracotta ones should last the lifetime of chimney pots. It's all very well making your own but they do need to provide a degree of air flow and remain in place securely. All metal ones do provide that as do the terracotta ones.

My DIY one is all stainless steel and looks amazing with the sun glinting off it. Something like this (that the handles off ) with this https://www.screwfix.com using stainless steel nuts and bolts with niloc nuts. held on with a stainless steel big jubilee clip leaving a gap between the top of the pot and the bowl for air flow. just need to make sure that the bowl is wider than the pot.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back