DIY conservatory/playroom please look i wanna get cracking!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am after some advice i am about to build a very basic conservatory to use as a playroom for the kids, its going to be between 3 main walls so only 1 part will be exposed to the outside weathering. a bit like a U shape.
Its going to be 4m long and 2m wide, then when thats complete i may be adding a further 4.5 m length to it depending on the wifes decision!

So far its going to have 2 main beams of 4x3 timber obviousy 2m wide then there will be three main joists between them all being 4m long.
so basically 2 of the main beam joists will be fixed to the house then 1 main joist in the middle.
Is that going to be strong enough for the roof its only going to be polycarbonate 25mm so not very heavy?
so its basically a lean to roof a bit like a car port. also what is the minimum angle for the water to drain from it? i was thinking about 30 degrees.
Then obviously a concrete base at 150mm and plasterboard batton all round inside. Do i need supporting corner posts to help support the roof or will it be ok just fixed to the walls with decent fixings? bearing in mind i will have to stand on it to flash it after.
Joists 4x2?
end beams 4x3?
plasterboard batton 2x1?
Concrete base a total of 300mm after hardcore damp proof then concrete?
Also shall i do the roof flat and use joist hangers and then use filling timber on top of the joists to put a slight angle for the polycarbonate so it gets the water off?
OR shall i just do the actual main 3 joists at angle?
does anyone think i should use 4 joists instead of 3 ?

ANY advice i can get on this project on sizes of timber and which fixings are best etc will be highly appreciated and listened to, i am not a builder by trade i did plastering and window fitting years ago but never put joists up before so am just being extra carefull and making sure i get everything spot on.
Cheers !

Sponsored Links
In what way does it come under building regs?

Sponsored Links
It comes under building regs cos its not over the hight limit and not over percentage of the property?
Any tips on what i asked no?
and no it wont be to cold for the kids mate its gonna have 25mm polycarbonate roofing and a radiator in there and 3 of the walls are facing on internal walls its only the end wall with a door in thats gonna be exposed to the outside...

no i said it does comply and to be honest if it didnt i would still be doing it i need some advice on actually doing it but everyone seems more interested in if it comes under building regs or not ive had no replys about my actual ideas :cry:

It comes under building regs cos its not over the hight limit and not over percentage of the property?
Any tips on what i asked no?
and no it wont be to cold for the kids mate its gonna have 25mm polycarbonate roofing and a radiator in there and 3 of the walls are facing on internal walls its only the end wall with a door in thats gonna be exposed to the outside...
Polycarbonate offers little or no heat retention.

i am unkean on the polycarbonate idea myself its my wife that has her mind set on that, and she was told it was really good for keeping the heat in, do you have any suggestions for a different idea on the roof then i just need something that lets light in well at the same time :)

Well Regs aside, (there is clearly much confusion on your part there so best we all leave that aside) your original thread is hard to fathom, although it is also clear that your proposals are ad hoc and it will be freezing in the winter and boiling in the summer, heating or no heating. This is the reason you've had few replies.

right ok i see :confused: i was mainly worried about whether the size beams and the amount i was intending on using is gonna be strong enough, the roof im in two minds about but if i go for a proper double glazing then i may aswell be paying out for a proper consevatory and have it fitted but best quote ive found is £8500
just seems such a waste when i could prob do this all myself for ALOT less i have just been looking at other roofing options and there isnt alot everyone seems to be using polycarbonate 25mm or 35mm seems pretty popular at the min

Well why not do a proper conservatory but fit it yourself. Even proper conservatories are pants in the winter and pants in the summer. The forum is inundated with such threads.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back