DIY DPC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly, would you do it yourself? If no, why not.

I bought a house ages ago and ive finally got round to putting a DPC down one side of my house (mid terrace).

The work was starting today by a good plasterer, phoned me an hour in and said the quoted price would have to double as tanking was involved. I cant afford the new price.

Ive been looking into it and cant understand why im not just doing the job myself.

What i think needs to be done:

Chop off old plaster 1m high,
Inject the walls,
Line wall with membrane (is this tanking?)
Replaster.

Ive looked into what i need to buy (on twistfix.co.uk) and for the injection stuff and membrane it comes to about £500 which is great.

Really need some help on the above and please tell me if you have ever done it yourself, problems, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Sponsored Links
I didnt bother injecting dpc. I cleaned the wall inside and bitumen painted + bitumen roll tanking. I then for good measure built a stud wall just off the main wall so they werent touching.( metal tie backs were) 12 years on its about the only thing my tennant hasnt complained about!
I found out later that a heavy visqueen polythene does the same job but cheaper. If you just plasterboard the stud then all you need this guy for is to skim it

Why are you starting another thread for the same topic ? Don't you like the answers on the other one ?

Sponsored Links
^^ haha, im very grateful for everyone's answers, it was my first post, then i found the building section and thought it would be better in there.

In a lot of cases the cause is nothing to do with the DPC but is actually blocked cavities.

I've just started refurbing a house. It's been tanked and a new DPC injected. Neither of which actually did any good as the problem was actually that the cavity was full of soil/rubble. This occurred I think when the old sash windows were removed and PVC windows installed.. Hey, why not just put all the rubbish down these gaps !!!

All cleared out, now replaster. You could check the cavities out by knocking a brick or two out and putting your hand in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back