DIY electrical work in Public Buildings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone clarify something for me, please:

Does all electrical work in public buildings have to be done by a professional electrician, or is there any scope for DIY? I'm specifically interested in the church hall / village hall type of buildings where spending charitable funds on minor electrical work (eg moving sockets or light switches) seems rather wasteful when there are people who are quite capable who could do it for free.

I've looked around on the internet, but haven't found anything that makes this clear. We clearly don't want to do anything illegal, but would prefer not to have to spend the money out.

Can anyone give me the legal situation?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
All work should be done by someone who is competent. Proving competence is probably your biggest issue, which is where employing a professional is probably the best way for it to be done.
The insurance issue may also raise its ugly head too!

AFAIK there are no legal restrictions, but if people work there then their employer has duties under the EAWR to use competent electricians. There is no formal definition of competence.

The biggest hurdle is likely to be the Ts'n'Cs of the insurances (building, contents, public liability etc), and of any rules that the local authority have if they've licensed the building in any way.

Best bet would be to see if any church-goers/village inhabitants etc are professional electricians who would donate a few hours of their time for minor work.

Sponsored Links
Thanks both for your comments - I think the insurance & EAWR are both valid points.

Cheers.

Over the last 14 years, I have made several additions / modifications to a public hall run by a charity exactly as you describe. As my secular work is industrial I am not in a self certification scheme and so in a domestic setting would need my work checked out by the LABC. However, a public building is not "domestic" and does not come under Part P.

The insurers are fine about it, as long as the building has a PIR at the recommended intervals, which would pick up any unsafe work.

In my opinion this highlights two failings with Part P. I can carry out work in a dangerous industrial environment, with higher than domestic voltages, high temperatures, external locations, explosive locations, equipment that is used under extreme duress and for long periods by multiple operators. Yet if I want to install a socket in my kitchen for a radio I need to have it checked by the LABC.

Second, as this highlights, it does not cover public buildings where poor work by someone incompetent could endanger more lives than it would if they carried it out at their home.

They only appear to be failings if you regard Part P as having anything to do with safety.

Once you realise it was all about increasing the influence and revenue of NICEIC and the ECA you'll see that those aren't failings, they are irrelevancies, which is why Part P doesn't apply to them.

Thanks Stem & ban-all-sheds. I think I'll speak to our insurers and see if they have a view..........

Cheers,

Please note though that stem is an industrial electrician (like me), he can use his qualifications etc to aid in proving competence.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back