DIY Gravel Type Board Mix

Thanks, that's an expensive curb, £10 a bag, might buy a bulk bag of ballast, 15 bags of cement and make up to N40.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure that you really need that strength concrete? As a guide kerbs are normally haunched on something like a C15 mix. In my experience C40 is only for things like rafts, piles and padstones that are under significant load and tension.

Are you sure that you really need that strength concrete? As a guide kerbs are normally haunched on something like a C15 mix. In my experience C40 is only for things like rafts, piles and padstones that are under significant load and tension.
Not sure might be over kill on my part.

I have 2 levels of ground, one side of the curb, higher level, will only ever be grass and earth.

Other side, lower level, will be a concrete and gravel driveway.

Not a huge driveway area but the curb mix must be strong enough to resist any ground push against the curb by natural movement, both levels and weight placed on driveway by a vehicle.

High gravel boards might have done it but not thick or strong enough I'm told but need to keep curb as thin as possible, can get away with 75mm thick curb.

For just such a job not sure grade of concrete but only want to do it once so thought C40 mix with rebar in the mix best way.

Last edited:
You'll struggle to get rebar into a 75mm thick kerb, normally you go on for 50mm cover over the rebar so the best you can do is 1 piece in the middle and that won't do much.

I would just go for a normal 4:2:1 mix (C20). If you want a smoother face you can buy smaller 10mm aggregate instead of the normal 25mm aggregate.

It's only a 300mm kerb, you could retain that with pavers on their side or wood.

Sponsored Links
You'll struggle to get rebar into a 75mm thick kerb, normally you go on for 50mm cover over the rebar so the best you can do is 1 piece in the middle and that won't do much.

I would just go for a normal 4:2:1 mix (C20). If you want a smoother face you can buy smaller 10mm aggregate instead of the normal 25mm aggregate.

It's only a 300mm kerb, you could retain that with pavers on their side or wood.
Will have to rethink and thanks for all info' and on the rebar.

Flags are relatively expensive.

300mm gravel board is available, but also expensive, and I find difficult to carry and place.

I have a feeling you might need a small concrete-filled trench, with the curb rising out of it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back