DIY question for experienced tiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi = my tiles are 600mm wide , Sadly my bath is 700mm wide , So where do I stick the little bit ??? , Does the little bit go in the corner like in Picture B or on the outside like in picture A - Please Note The back wall is just over 1800 So the back wall will have three full size tiles exactly . , I'd really appreciate your help. Cheers in advance Chris.

Sponsored Links
Are you putting a shower-bath screen up on the tiled wall?
If so I would put the cut where the screen is fitted, other than that which do you think looks best or second opinion, which does SHMBO?

The correct approach is to not have a little bit aka - a slither. It means cutting the larger tile so that you have a larger small piece - may create more wastage & think about how you wrap round onto the longer wall so that it looks right.

Layout is all about aesthetics & slithers always look wrong.

Sponsored Links
As above you try to avoid slithers and unsightly cuts. Your approach would be best made by planning your tiling cuts, and regrettably even though you have a wall that divides evenly in to the 600mm tiles, you have one that does not.
Although I personally think a cut of around 60mm-100mm adjacent to shower screen channel will not be un-pleasing to the eye.

But saying that, that is my opinion only and as the saying goes "beauty and the eye of the beholder", So you may have to consider starting your tiling at the mid-point of the 1800mm wall, with a whole tile centrally crossing that point rather than the grout line. This would mean half tile cuts on adjoining walls internal angles, than a half tile cut on bath end, then a second slightly larger cut to bath screen channel. I doubt tile for tile, you will have much more wastage than having the 60mm-100mm cut at shower screen.
Just a little time cutting.

But then again, I would then prefer the grout line on bath end to be central, so there then would be more wastage, as you will require two cut tiles above the 300mm, so they wont come out of one tile.

Measure half the area you want to tile and measure out from this and cut, finish on edge with tile trim.

Measure half the area you want to tile and measure out from this and cut, finish on edge with tile trim.

As per this, measure if the wall is 1800mm wide, mark vertical 900mm in, tile from this edge, this will give 2 full tiles and 2 half tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back