DIY replacement boiler, then have it inspected & connect

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a potterton neatheat 10 16 and while it does work, I want to replace it with someting more modern and put the cylinder in the garage too (kettling in the master bedroom wakes me up).

I've been looking at the posts about DIY boiler (combi) installation. It would appear that such action is not encouraged on this forum, due to the complexity of getting it right and the law.

What's wrong with me putting a new boiler in, re-siting the cylinder and then getting a corgi heating engineer to connect it to the gas & make sure the boiler is set up properly?

The reason I ask this is because I've had a few heating engineers round, and just like the bathroom fitters I've had (& most other tradesman of various descriptions lately), they are talking telephone numbers for
what appears to be a straight forward replacement.

One guy wanted 4k (included the boiler), others are around the 3k mark. Given that the boiler only costs <1k and that most of the pipe work is already there, I fail to see why it costs so much (boiler going in same place).

A friend of mine (who is not a heating engineer), did what I have suggested (w/help of corgi engineer - was a friend) and it worked for him.

Given hat I don't know any corgi engineers, am I likely to have problems getting someone round for a simple gas connect & boiler commission (are heating engineers funny about this sort of thing - diy installations I mean)?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Last question - yes they/we are. Can be a can of worms.
Best to get a corgi round first to advise and see you through it and tell you what you can and can't do.

Like so often, it looks expensive until you start analysing the numbers. Try a quote from Brit Gas...

Technically it is illegal for us to sign off somebody elses work, rather than 'us lot on here' being awkward and bloody minded :eek:

We are always led to believe on here that prices are cheap 'up north' and my first impression is that the £3K is about right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back