DIY Shelf Bracket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
The wife wants a couple of bookshelves, so I've bought 2 lengths of 1.2 m planned wood @ 20mm thick and 145mm deep, it's just white wood, fairly cheap. I want to make some shelf brackets, after I got the wood I saw this

Basically its what I was thinking but a bit better looking as its for in the house. When I bought the shelf wood I bought some spare to make the brackets, so at the moment I've cut them 120mm square and I was going to cut them diagonally as the video but it looks like the ones in the video aren't square one edge looks longer than the other, does that matter?
I'm using 20mm Batten to screw the Diagonal bits, I was thinking 1 long screw at the top where it's the deepest, maybe 4 x 70 and much shorter about 3/4 of the way down, does that sound OK?

Many Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
i do mines a bit simpler still cut 2 brackets from a single bit off timber if its say an 9" plank then cut a bit about 11" long mark the top and bottom about 2" in diagonal opposites draw a strait line between these marks
then draw a gradual curving line keeping in mind if you cross the line you will have to leave as much room the other end to allow the other bracket to replicate the bracket you are marking

with the first and last bit off the curve turning into flat faces
when you are happy with the shape lay it on top off the other one and mark the shape to copy

Thanks big-all, but I don't understand what you mean, do you have a picture or a diagram with dimensions? My wood work isn't great, so I wouldn't do curves.

Also, how often do I need the support brackets, as total length is 1.2 m I was going for 4 brackets every 300mm, does that sound OK? I think most of the books are hard back.

i would go for 150mm/6" 600mm/ 24" 1050/41" unless you plan on very heavy loading the then 50/417/784/1150
if you dont have a jigsaw or bandsaw
afraid i cant manage pictures

Sponsored Links
As long as your woodwork skills are up to it,it should all be ok.

Only shelves i have been asked to fit for years now have been floating shelves (wall construction & loadings considered).
Get mine from ikea (not advertising) but find their lack range very good quality.

Good luck with your project.

Thanks both, I do have a jigsaw but I'm not that great with it, so I'll cut all by hand, I do have a mitre saw for the diagonals and I'm OK with that.

Steve

if theres one job you can practice your jigsaw skills on its a random free flowing bracket where lines are a guide and dont really matter
is your jigsaw a cheapy or a decent one ??

It's a cheap one B&D I think, if I did a curve with it I'd end up sanding by hand for quite a while and I don't want to spend too much time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back