Make a revolving shelf unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to make a revolving shelf unit, comprising of a flat base unit, with a piece of wood running up the core that does the revolving, again with another piece on the top. i have not got the foggiest what you call the brackets that you use to attach to the bit i want to revolve with the stationary parts that will then allow it to revolve. does anyone know what its called?

Sponsored Links
They're sometimes referred to as pivots. They're the sort of thing an engineering shop could turn up for you in something like Delrin (a sort of self-lubricating plastic), brass or phosphur bronze. The entire unit is sort of carousel or lazy susan.

Scrit

Sponsored Links
Pivots and turntables, just the job. 1 last question, does the turntable come apart to allow both parts to be attached to the wood, then you attach it back together, otherwise how do you fix it? (you can tell i have done this before.........)

Scrit said:
Jason

Don't you find them a tad stiff?

Scrit

Never actually made anything with them scrit but agree thay can be a bit coarse and notchy. Probably because the balls just run on a steel pressing rather than a precision ground surface.

I Prefer to knock up a pivot on the engineering lathe and set a ballrace/ thrust bearing into a hole in the carcase :D

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back