DIY skim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
started stripping the front room and things are worse than I hoped, previously it just looked like someone had done a DIY plastering attempt (suspect it was the builder that owned the house before the previous occupants) but yesterday the wife stripped an alcove in the front room and its all patchy old plaster.

my plan was: belt sander (to get rid of trowel marks in builders plastering) then lining paper and paint, but now I think this section (and possibly more) will need a bit more attention, I seriously considering skimming this part myself (then beltsander and lining paper). The budget isn’t going to spread to paying someone to skim the room for me.

I have had a little search for a ‘how to’ on plastering and found threads such as This one but no real how to. Google seams to mostly return training courses and videos. Can anyone point me in the right direction to a good (free) how to?

Sponsored Links
The information is on here you just have to search and read, unfortunetly theres no quick fix to learning how to plaster. ;)

jbonding said:
The information is on here you just have to search and read, unfortunetly theres no quick fix to learning how to plaster. ;)

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn right!

Sponsored Links
the infomation seams to be in very small snippets and spread out, i was wishing for a 'definitive guide' but I appreciate not everything is that easy, hopefully someone will do a 'how to' one day.

I have decided to just use a lot of filler and and lots of beltsanding for now, the front room probably isnt the best place start to learn how to skim anyway!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back