DIY sump or block heater?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Every time we get a spell of sub zero temperatures I always get to wishing I had a 240v heater to pre-heat the engine on these cold mornings. Having looked around they can be had for a minimum of a £100 or so and up to £300 or more.

I remember my dad had a paraffin sump heater many years ago, I wouldn't want to go down route, though it was cheap and simple and worked.

Even on a normal winter morning if I had a mains heater to pre-warm the block or sump I'd be glad to turn it on 20 mins or so before setting off in the morning to keep engine wear down, reduce the high fuel, and have a car that has the heater working sooner.

Has anyone come up with a DIY version? Is there a block heater used for something else that could be attached to the sump? What could be used with a bit of imagination to do the job?

Sponsored Links
I would think a heater that warmed the water system would be preferable to just heating the sump, I do however think 20 minutes would not be long enough, more like a couple of hours.

Wotan

Yes a water heater would be good, though needs a pump to effectively heat the whole water jacket.

According to the commercially available ones, and reports from people using them where they regularly get sub zero temps half an hour is enough, unless you are in the Arctic circle. Of course it depends on the power, but think of a 2 or 3kW element.

Sponsored Links
The Kenlowe product has been around for ages, and it has its own internal pump.
The problem is lack of space to fit it in the majority of cases, but if you can find somewhere your car is toasty in 20 mins.
John :)

buy a galaxy/sharan/alhambra tdi with a programmable booster heater built in.thats when the bloody things work, ;)

Sump heaters came about because older types of engine oil used to turn to tar in cold weather. Modern multigrade oils stay liquid at far lower temperatures than older oils, and maintain their viscosity at far higher temperatures too, so the need for 'summer' and 'winter' oils, and the need to to warm up the sump oil has virtually disappeared.

20 years ago I had an astra and the heeting would just be starting to get warm when I got to work (4 miles). All the cars I have had in the past 10 years or so are warm in less than a mile or 3 mins or so. I dont see it as an issue now. I think they are designed to warm up quicker now to meet emission levels quicker.

My recently acquired Peugeot 406 Hdi has an originally fitted diesel powered auxiliary heater, its fantastic this weather, I am getting warm air from the heater within 200 yards and hot in half a mile, don't know if you can retro fit them though.

Peter

Thanks for that. I haven't even found mine yet :confused: The one in my car only comes on when you start the engine but it gets warm so quickly I don't mind.

Peter

Sponsored Links
Back