DIY undefloor heating and first fix.... hmmmm..errr?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As an enthusiastic DIY'er I am planning on having a go at my first fix plumbing. I havn't done a project as big as this before, but you have to start somewhere and I do have a competent plumbing 'mate' who is checking in on me every now and again to make sure I don't cock something up and is doing the soldered copper joints for me.

I am going to be looking to get my floor screed down in the next month... which involves getting all my plumbing right in the kitchen and putting in the underfloor heating. The layout is something like this:-

I have been reading up on the subject of sinking pipes into the floor screed and reckon I plan to use Hep2o conduit pipe and conduit junction boxes for the hot and cold (and some suitable plastic conduit for the 1" flow and return pipes to the boiler) - seperate runs for hot & cold - to run under the kitchen cabinets and range cooker, like this:-

Then for underfloor heating, I was looking at one of those online room packs like this with a 2 port manifold to do 30sqm - I calculate my floor area excluding the bit under the kitchen cabinets to be 28sqm. For the installation, I need to site the manifold and I was planning to put it in the under stairs cupboard, which is pretty central to the room and out of the way, like this:-

Questions:-
Does it look like I am desiging my water systems about right?
Is there a problem with running my CH f&r and all the other pipes under my range cooker?
Is using Hep2o the right way to go, or is there a better (cheaper ;)) way to do it within regs?
Is my proposed location of UFH manifold under the stairs OK?
Have I got my layout for UFH about right?
Is there anything I am likely to miss doing this for the first time? [/url]

Sponsored Links
Probably best NOT to run pipes under your Range cooker/Boiler, I assume its a Rayburn/Stanley/Esse ? these are very heavy the pipes would best routed other than under the cooker.
Otherwise looks OK ;)

Have you done a heat-loss calc to see how much heat you need ?

Looking at the kit, they don't mention pipe-length, so presumably one size fits all whether it's N Scotland or Bognor Regis. Not confidence-inspiring.

What length of circuit have you calculated for your proposed layout ?
What type of insulation and thickness ? Ditto screed. What spacing have you planned for pipes ?

Sponsored Links
Get intouch with Wavin (Hep2o) they will design everything for you re the under floor heating.

Its plumbing Jim but not as we know it :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back